Electric Cars: G - Wiz \ Aixam Mega City?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timster

Car
Currently Merc' Less.
As an economy drive, my wife and I are looking at getting an electric car.

My daily commute is about 15 miles on city roads (Through Edinburgh) So the plan is to buy a small electric car for commuting in, and both of us to use to run around town in, keeping the 124 Estate for trips etc.

The reasons for this: Fuel cost - Much cheaper to plug in overnight, than to refill the big tank in my 300TD, and environmental reasons - 0 carbon emissions.

Anyone had any experience of these?

There's a good link for a G Wiz dealer, in London: GoinGreen - Driving Down Pollution

But I can't find any suppliers of the Aixam car.

Also - G Wiz need a service every 6 months, and I wouldn't be planning on sending it to London every six months, so need to find a mechanic willing to work on it up here.

Your thoughts much appreciated:

Tim.

So you are going to spend upwards of £3k to save £30 a week. Doesn't make sense, sorry.

I'd use the money to put towards either running the 124 and maintaining it, or towards a newer car for when the 124 is no longer for this world. And then maybe a more economical car thats newer in design. (A 210 220cdi or 211 CDi both will make the 124 seem like it had a leaky fuel tank)

Remember, all those nasty batteries need recycled so the car isn't maybe quite as green as you hoped.

Why not buy a bicycle if you live close to your work, take the bus etc are all more cost effective and greener solutions than buying a GWIZ.

There was an interesting article in the In Gear section of this weeks Sunday Times, a long term owner of a Gwiz with lead acid batteries, said that they have gone down considerably in range and even 30 miles is now pushing it. New batteries were £2500.

Certainly put me off, well until fuel goes up a lot more!

I've been watching the EV scene closely, as I too would like one. I really like the look of the Nissan Leaf, but I'm afraid I have to agree with ***, in that they are just too expensive to make it viable, if you still want one by all means check them out.

I feel that the next two years will see huge changes in cars, with more of the big players making a move ... I'm now keeping an eye out for the new E class electric ... bit more like it I think.

Cheers

;-)

I've no personal knowledge of owning an electric car, but have sometimes wondered about owning a first generation Honda Insight, which is a petrol-electric hybrid capable of +100mpg. But prices are still strong even for ten year old examples, £4-7k.

A couple of more conventional diesel cars also also capable of of good economy; Audi A2 and Smart ForTwo.

But like *** says, if saving money is your goal, be careful not to spend too much to save a few pounds.

My daughter has a Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 diesel. £35 p/a RFL, and you really need to be leadfoot to get less than 50MPG. Decent heating and aircon, does 600 miles per 'charge'.

This type of car is probably more practical. than a G wiz. And safer!

YouTube - BBC News G-Wiz Crash Test Appalling

I personally think Scalextric is great fun...........:D

There used to be a few G Wiz parked up around my office in the City but they have now all vanished, replaced by Smart cars. Cannot recall last time I saw a Gwiz.

Strikes me as no bad thing because the GWiz is an electric quadricylce, not a car. I know what the makers say but come on now:

g-wiz-1.jpg

The battery packs are the weak point.One day soon-ish there will be decent electric cars available. But not there yet. In the meantime:

Mr Money: diesel is still the best - Telegraph

IIRC the uk distributor of Aixam went bust!

Kate

So you are going to spend upwards of £3k to save £30 a week. Doesn't make sense, sorry.

Saving £30 per week is saving £1560 each year, which means that in 2 years you have paid for the new £3k car.

So it works out good - if those are the real figures - but we all know there is more to it than just those simplistic figures.

If you hit a pedestrian in a G-Wizz, the G-Wizz will come off worse.

Shonky build quality and stupid looking things.

I'm sure the owners biggest fear is waking up and finding someone has tipped it on too its roof.

:D

Two of my (London) neighbours have got them. One of them had to have new batteries last year........

If you don't go down the bike route (I started last May and have just passed the 1750 mile mark) why not get a small hatch with a tiny petrol or diesel engine. You can get something reasonable for £3k and it would be more versatile.

Out economy car is a Clio. It does about 800 miles a year and I fill the tank every two or three months, if that.

(I made sure we got the 1.6 16v though.......my inner petrol head won)

If I was inclined to buy an "eco" car then I would avoid most of these small and frankly shoddy electric cars.

I would probably go for a small petrol/diesel car which got good MPG instead and was in the whole a lot better put together and much safer.

And why oh why can we not have hydrogen cars. Why does everything coming out have to be a hybrid! Oh yes, I forgot, it's because we don't want to p*ss off the oil companies who would rapidly go out of business is cars ran on hydrogen!

And even if we get them we won't have cars which split the hydrogen from water - we will have to buy hydrogen from filling stations to keep someone in work and so the government can tax it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom