Electric fan on outside of radiator.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blue190

Car
Birthday present - 94L 190e 2.0 in Black, 88F Volvo 740 auto estate (only for towing!!)
Hello to all you fellow MB owners/drivers.
I have recently purchased a 1992 190E 2.0i. It has 200k on clock but has 6k on the recently fitted new (not recon) engine. Having not owned or really driven a merc before i was quite unfamiliar with its quirks and began to get alarmed when the temp needle started rising quite quickly in standing traffic. So this weekend, thinking there was a problem, I broke out the trusty Haynes manual and set about checking the obvious things. It turns out i was being over cautious and it can run at that temp, and the fan works at the proper temp and turns off similarly. One thing puzzled me though, as well as the Electromagnetically coupled pulley driven fan, there is an electric fan on the outside of the radiator(in relation to engine bay), to which the Haynes manual makes no reference(not in the cooling chapter anyway). Could someone enlighten me as to why i have it fitted and whether the engine needs to get proper hot to make it kick in? The car does have aircon fitted, so is it someting to do with this? Thank you all in anticipation of your help.

Last edited:
Woah!!!
Any chance you could reduce the size of your pics mate?(and maybe put them in the members gallery;))

Back on topic, the fan is for the aircon.
Turn the aircon on and it should spin.
Some of the bigger engines have 2 of these fitted.
HTH

sorry people didnt realise the pics would come out that big, still getting used to the site. thanks for the replies. Next question is how do i switch the air con on? there doesnt seem to be a switch for it, or any controls that look like aircon i have used before.

Welcome to THE MB forum.
blue190 said:
.. Next question is how do i switch the air con on? there doesnt seem to be a switch for it, or any controls that look like aircon i have used before.
Does your car have an EC button or a snowflake button anywhere on the heater controls ? If you can give us some more pics, internal and bonnet up, we can identify bits for you.
My A/C button is a snowflake.
280E_air_con.jpg

thanks again for the help people. Ive attached some more pics to help you to help me. The only thing with a snowflake is a sliding switch to the right of the fan control, has blue scale beneath it min-max and a snowflake at max end

Attachments

• mbclub12032006 002.jpg
    mbclub12032006 002.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 55
  • mbclub12032006 003.jpg
    mbclub12032006 003.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 53
  • mbclub12032006 004.jpg
    mbclub12032006 004.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 52
Nice car Blue. cough cough, might be an idea to fudge out the number plates in your pics. Public forum, congestion charges etc, know what I mean nudge nudge :D

If your car HAS got A/C then it will have 2 radiators. The normal coolant rad plus the A/C rad.
The A/C won't run if the interior fan is not running. With the engine running, turn the interior fan on/off and see if the RPM changes a little (say 150 RPM). If so then the A/C compressor is cutting in/out OK.

Ian B Walker said:
Nice car Blue. cough cough, might be an idea to fudge out the number plates in your pics. Public forum, congestion charges etc, know what I mean nudge nudge :D
whats all the cough cough about? i never go to london let alone drive there so i would have quite a good case not to pay congestion charge. and if you got nothing good to say dont say anything.

PJH said:
If your car HAS got A/C then it will have 2 radiators. The normal coolant rad plus the A/C rad.
The A/C won't run if the interior fan is not running. With the engine running, turn the interior fan on/off and see if the RPM changes a little (say 150 RPM). If so then the A/C compressor is cutting in/out OK.
Thanks for that will check that out. Im pretty certain it has A/C just not positive it is working, and having never had it in a car of mine before i probably wouldnt miss it anyway.

Sorry you felt offended by my post. I am just rying to help. You dont have to drive in London to get a charge. All it takes is someone to note your number, get a plate same as yours and you end up with the charge. And as for nothing to say dont say it? Well ok, nough said.

Ian B Walker said:
Sorry you felt offended by my post. I am just rying to help. You dont have to drive in London to get a charge. All it takes is someone to note your number, get a plate same as yours and you end up with the charge. And as for nothing to say dont say it? Well ok, nough said.
I paid 550 for the car with 300 worth of tyre on it alone, add to that a new engine thats only done 6k and mot til nov i think i had a good deal. The spoilers and that arent my doing and probably not something i would ever do to a car, looking in gift horses mouths and all that i think i had a bloody good deal.

PJH said:
Ian, have you been drinking ?
h030.gif
Ah yes, I see you have. :D :D :D
I wish hahahaha, your round if I remember correctly :D :bannana:

PJH said:
Ian, have you been drinking ?
h030.gif
Ah yes, I see you have. :D :D :D
is he like this with all new members? i read the whole thing about his v8 conv earlier and was fascinated, i love stuff like that, but if the guy behind it has some sort of superiority complex then i hope it fails.

No, he's OK really. It's just his northern sense of humour.

they all say that sir!

Blue 190, Ian was trying to do you a favour mate as a new member. He wasnt having a go at your car, just saving you from being ripped off by some London based criminal.;) Happens all the time and you will sweat blood trying to convince the authorities of your innocence. I can hear it now " Forged number plates--They all say that sir!":crazy: :crazy: the slider controls above the normal heater round switches mean you should have aircon. Whether its working or not is a different matter. Look under the bonnet and see if the compressor (beside the power steering pump I think) clutch engages when you switch on the air con. It might just need regassing.

Last edited:
blue190 said:
is he like this with all new members? i read the whole thing about his v8 conv earlier and was fascinated, i love stuff like that, but if the guy behind it has some sort of superiority complex then i hope it fails.
Ian was trying to help you out by saying to mask your number plates.
There are a lot of people up to no good out there.
The 'cough cough' is a long standing joke as he doesn't particuarly agree with silver cars. Your car's blue, so he was making a joke to all us silver coloured car owners.

As for saying you hope his project fails, lighten up a bit fella.
This is a friendly forum and we wish it to remain that way.

GRAV888 said:
Ian was trying to help you out by saying to mask your number plates.
There are a lot of people up to no good out there.
The 'cough cough' is a long standing joke as he doesn't particuarly agree with silver cars. Your car's blue, so he was making a joke to all us silver coloured car owners.

As for saying you hope his project fails, lighten up a bit fella.
This is a friendly forum and we wish it to remain that way.
I've already cleared things up with ian(i hope) in a pm so lets say no more on the matter. and as for silver cars, there seems to be far too many on the road these days. In my experience they show the dirt up too easily.

blue190 said:
In my experience they show the dirt up too easily.

Agreed, but not as much as a black one;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom