Electric Folding Jerky - '03 W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
The driver's door mirror on my '03 W211 folds back in jerks. My indie took a look, and repaired all the broken wires, while the car was in for suspension work, and told me that the problem is that the cog wheel that runs along the track is missing a few teeth. A complete new assembly is £250+.

All the rest of the electrics are fine now, and I'm loth to spend that much on a feature I rarely use, but it would be nice to have it 100% operational. I don't suppose anyone knows of a possible source of spares, do they? (He said hopefully, but not very...)

I have a drivers side complete. Glass and cover et al in great condition afaik, would need plugged in to test it. Are you just looking for the mech on it's own?

Last edited:
Yes, I'm afraid I am, ideally; or even just the cogwheel on its own, if I knew where to get one. I know I'm old-fashioned, but £250 (or even £120 off eBay) to replace a 50p nylon cog still irks me.

Last edited:
eBay is your best bet.

Agree, you really need a unit that has major cosmetic issues to get a good price.

I would also use the search a part sites. They ping your request to all breakers in their network. Those breakers then come back with what they have and prices.

They do a repair kit iirc

They certainly did for the 203 , ask at the stealership

Yes, I'm afraid I am, ideally; or even just the cogwheel on its own, if I knew where to get one. I know I'm old-fashioned, but £250 (or even £120 off eBay) to replace a 50p nylon cog still irks me.
If you can get one with a OEM mirror glass is best... That alone is approx £300... good to have a spare in case the liquid fails (that's if the car is a keeper).

First I've heard that there is any liquid in the door mirror on a W211. Please tell me more...

Thank Neil. That piece of information explains two things. The datacard shows self-dimming mirrors, but the driver's side one doesn't, and the power folding you know about. My bet is that the driver's side mirror has been smashed off at some point and been replaced by one, from a breaker, of unknown mileage and non-dimming.

GENUINE Mercedes E CLASS W211 Auto Dimming WING MIRROR GLASS DRIVERS Anti Glare | eBay

There you go... you must make sure the mirror is clear and not yellow in anyway. Yellow colour = the liquid for the auto dimming feature has failed.

I had to explain this to a eBay seller once as he thought the one he sold me was in perfect condition. Luckily he was nice and offered me a full refund.

All W211 E55s came with this feature and a lot previous owners just replace it with a non auto dimming mirror because of the price for a OEM one.

Thank you Major; very helpful. Doesn't seem a particularly hefty price; you can't expect to run an SBC/Airmatic W211 on a shoestring. Does the liquid fail with age, or is it just the luck of the draw? My N/S mirror is fine.

Mine has puddle lights, but as everything works except the power folding and the auto-dimming, I could just swap the cover, the motor and the mirror glass over. I presume it's an easy job both getting the mirror off the door, and swapping the glass?

The yellow mirror might appeal to Bono...

Luck of the draw, my father's W210 mirror glass failed after 14 years... He has had the car from new.

The N/S mirror is heated only, no auto dimming.

The mirror glass is easy to swap but I am not sure on the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom