Electric Garage Doors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Excellent timing. :)

I've got an up-and-over metal door that is OK height-wise but the side support arms reduce the width of the garage entrance considerably. If I'm millimetre-perfect I can get the car through and then the space opens up inside but if my approach is even slightly wrong I have to fold the mirrors in to get through. It looks like I could get some kind of roller door that would do away with the need for arms. :)

I had the same problem with the width of my getting car into my garage and a framless door will give you an extra couple of inches either side making it easier to get your car into your garage.

It would take just seconds to kick that side door bottom panel through and get in.

I don't know - it's a standard uPVC exterior door. But I'm sure there are any number of ways to get into a normal domestic garage, if you really want to. A tiled roof is presumably pretty vulnerable?

Happytalk73 said:
Another thumbs up for a Hormann sectional insulated door. We have one at 5m wide with a really quiet supramatic motor. Fitted over ten years ago by 'Lancashire Garage Doors' from Bamber Bridge in Preston. It's opened/closed numerous times daily and never failed once. LGD come and service it once a year for £50.

Crikey Ant! I went to Lancashire Garage Doors a few months ago with a view to replacing our garage door, which is a traditional three-section door each of which has four windows in it. I found them unenthusiastic about giving me information (and I told them they'd been recommended by one of their clients who had had two successive Hormann systems on two successive homes). In the end, a friend repaired the tongue and groove sections of the lovely, appropriate, original 1950s doors and I stripped back all the paint, front and back, filled and repainted front and back. Probably a good thing I/we did because first, it's in keeping with our home and second, it was a lot less expensive and third, no one would be keen to steal my cars, lol! Too old!

It would take just seconds to kick that side door bottom panel through and get in.

Is that because of the strength of the panel or the method of fixing.

When my PVC rear door was fitted, the bottom panel was a sandwich of pvc, Structural foam and 6mm plywood in the centre which would be much stiffer and stronger than the plywood of the door it was replacing.

On the other hand there is no such thing as burglar proof if they are determined enough.

Like I said the door is the Achilles heel here, but I am glad this thread has been started because I am thinking about replacement garage doors soon . And this has been helpful.

Is that because of the strength of the panel or the method of fixing.

When my PVC rear door was fitted, the bottom panel was a sandwich of pvc, Structural foam and 6mm plywood in the centre which would be much stiffer and stronger than the plywood of the door it was replacing.

On the other hand there is no such thing as burglar proof if they are determined enough.

That's the most commonly used structure of PVC door panel.

However, the best (and more expensive) is 28mm (total thickness) solid core ply without any foam whatsoever. It's very strong and gives the door a nice heavy feel when opening/closing.

Crikey Ant! I went to Lancashire Garage Doors a few months ago with a view to replacing our garage door, which is a traditional three-section door each of which has four windows in it. I found them unenthusiastic about giving me information (and I told them they'd been recommended by one of their clients who had had two successive Hormann systems on two successive homes). In the end, a friend repaired the tongue and groove sections of the lovely, appropriate, original 1950s doors and I stripped back all the paint, front and back, filled and repainted front and back. Probably a good thing I/we did because first, it's in keeping with our home and second, it was a lot less expensive and third, no one would be keen to steal my cars, lol! Too old!

Yes Lisa, Gail (the bosses daughter) is very lacklustre and unenthusiastic in her personality. I've known them as a company for over 20 years. They started off in business because they got a contract to supply Redrow Homes (lancs) with all the doors for their sites. I used them when I was living in Manchester and continue to use them up here in Scotland as they are happy to travel.

The fitters are very experienced, it's just a shame that the sales staff are a little boring. :doh:

I have had Hormann sectional insulated for several years with no problems & would buy again.
split[pin

Excellent timing. :)

I've got an up-and-over metal door that is OK height-wise but the side support arms reduce the width of the garage entrance considerably. If I'm millimetre-perfect I can get the car through and then the space opens up inside but if my approach is even slightly wrong I have to fold the mirrors in to get through. It looks like I could get some kind of roller door that would do away with the need for arms. :)

I had the same problem with the width of my getting car into my garage and a framless door will give you an extra couple of inches either side making it easier to get your car into your garage.

just make sure it will close with car in cus if it dunt its pointless,

who remembers the old steel prefab that had 2 doors and was found in the council owned sites some would not open fully and made the approach difficult to say the least, then some had no lighting as well.

just make sure it will close with car in cus if it dunt its pointless,

The framless door gives more width but shortens the length of the garage slightly when installed, so make sure you measure how much space you have .My car has about 15cm of space from garage wall and 15cm when the door is closed. Not a problem as the sensors on the car tell me how close I am.

I had an electric roller shutter type garage door fitted 18 months ago by a company called essati (I did google them and they had some good and bad reviews / can't please everyone as suppose) ....it is insulated,comes in various colours ..... i opted for their best model which came with 2 long distance remotes ...it also has an alarm and deadlock which means once activated if someone was to gain access to the inside of my garage through the rear entrance then they would not be able to open it from the control panel on the inside..... i paid for a 10yr warranty ....so far I have only claimed for 1 new remote which stopped working .....the shutter itself has been faultless

Quick update - I've decided to go down the SWS UK route, particularly as the Excel range has the Secured By Design (SDB) and Loss Prevention Certification Board (LPCB) accreditation.

I've been to see the door and met with a local company recommended by SWS :thumb:

Just need to get the pesky planning permission out of the way now (plans already submitted).

Product Ranges | SeceuroGlide Roller Garage Doors | SWS UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom