Electric hilarity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I'm stuck in a long queue of traffic, I will always let in an EV at a junction. This way I don't have to follow a diesel while my heater fan is blowing hard inside the car.

You could put the heater on recirlculation. It will automatically time out after a period to introduce "fresh" air so it depends how long the queue is.

I'm sure the standard Mercedes cabin filter will have a PM2.5 rating but it's unlikely to remove 100 % of particles but neither does the filter linked above.

Last edited:
My 7 Series has an auto recirc function, apparently it detects foul air and switches itself on, I think that other BMWs I have owned have the same feature.

Pretty cool eh?

This is interesting, they are saying that if we had gone down the low carbon liquid fuels root instead of EVs we could have achieved the same reduction in greenhouse gas emissions but at half the infrastructure cost. Maybe there is life in ICs yet and they will continue along side EVs for long distance vehicles and ships.

A study by Ricardo estimates that by 2050, greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) from cars and light duty vehicles could be reduced by 87% if low-carbon liquid fuels were introduced as a substitute for petrol and diesel. The study found the effect would be about equal to a mass roll-out of EVs. The cost to public finance in infrastructure would be a lot lower, though, at about £330 billion compared with just over £700bn.

Towards the bottom of this battery article at Auto car

Under the skin: The quest for perfection in EV battery tech | Autocar

and in more detail

Low-carbon liquid fuels: FuelsEurope’s 2050 vision | Government Europa

This is interesting, they are saying that if we had gone down the low carbon liquid fuels root instead of EVs we could have achieved the same reduction in greenhouse gas emissions but at half the infrastructure cost. Maybe there is life in ICs yet and they will continue along side EVs for long distance vehicles and ships.

A study by Ricardo estimates that by 2050, greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) from cars and light duty vehicles could be reduced by 87% if low-carbon liquid fuels were introduced as a substitute for petrol and diesel. The study found the effect would be about equal to a mass roll-out of EVs. The cost to public finance in infrastructure would be a lot lower, though, at about £330 billion compared with just over £700bn.

Towards the bottom of this battery article at Auto car

Under the skin: The quest for perfection in EV battery tech | Autocar

and in more detail

Low-carbon liquid fuels: FuelsEurope’s 2050 vision | Government Europa
Definitely an interesting read - and actually not saying it’s either/or, but that low-carbon and EV can coexist. I’m a bit suspicious though, given that the study was funded by a group representing European refinery owners :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom