Electric lorry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So the problem isn't trucks, it's bad legislation

In the US, I've seen trucks doing 70mph with no problems at all, none of the "elephant racing" that happens in the UK.
Also, in Europe, trucks are banned from overtaking on some long uphill sections of motorway & some busy motorways have signs banning trucks from overtaking betweem 7am & 7pm, much more civilsed for everyone who uses the motorways.

HGVs shouldn't be allowed out of lane 1 during busy periods on some sections of the motorway -

So if there is a truck running under abnormal load rules everyone else has to sit behind at 40mph!!! Would you be prepared to do that? and why be so selfish? every driver on the road has a reason to be there

the speed limit for trucks over 7.5 tonnes is 60mph on a dual carriageway except that trucks are limited to 56(or less) how can a "trial" speed limit be implemented when 50 is the speed limit for trucks on a non DC

Last edited:
In the US, I've seen trucks doing 70mph with no problems at all, none of the "elephant racing" that happens in the UK.
Also, in Europe, trucks are banned from overtaking on some long uphill sections of motorway & some busy motorways have signs banning trucks from overtaking betweem 7am & 7pm, much more civilsed for everyone who uses the motorways.

Reply to my own post, but forgot to add, unless carrying perishible goods, no trucks are allowed on the motorways on a sunday in France/Spain, at all. They all park up on saturday night until monday morning.

So if there is a truck running under abnormal load rules everyone else has to sit behind at 40mph!!! Would you be prepared to do that? and why be so selfish? every driver on the road has a reason to be there

You can always raise an edge case to apply dogma to counter anything pragmatic .....

The law can be flexible. Eg. you are allowed to violate solid white lines under some circumstances.

how can a "trial" speed limit be implemented when 50 is the speed limit for trucks on a non DC

Interestingly I'll stick my hand up and declare I wasn't aware that Scotland had separate limits from England and Wales for HGVs. Your comment just caused me to realise that England and Wales moved on to 50mph on single carriageway roads while Scotland didn't - but the A9 got special treatment (which IMO shows Scotland should standardise with the rest of the UK).

So the 50mph 'trial' on the A9 is effectively a match ro what is the norm south of the border.

Not quite, max speed 3mph, only operates between two buildings on an industrial estate and is overseen by an operator in a control room who can overide everything.
Years ago a rail line would have been layed between the two buildings and achieved the same result with less hassle.

Years ago a rail line would have been layed between the two buildings and achieved the same result with less hassle.

And in a decade or two we may well see freight being convoyed by road on major trunk routes under supervision of a single operator who may not even be in one of the vehicles.

That will impact on rail freight in the UK - achieving the same result - perhaps with a lot less hassle.

And in a decade or two we may well see freight being convoyed by road on major trunk routes under supervision of a single operator who may not even be in one of the vehicles.

That will impact on rail freight in the UK - achieving the same result - perhaps with a lot less raping.
Corrected for you.

Car drivers shouldn’t be allowed to do 45-50 on motorways either they don’t help matters either and as for hgvs using lane 3 of a 4 lane motorway its usually cos there’s cars doddering about in lanes 1 and 2 lol. Amount of people who can’t drive on smart motorways properly as well and leave the near side 2 lanes empty is beyond belief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the speed limit for trucks over 7.5 tonnes is 60mph on a dual carriageway except that trucks are limited to 56(or less)

What is the basis behind restricting HGV's to 56 MPH when the limit is 60 - safety or fuel economy ?

What is the basis behind restricting HGV's to 56 MPH when the limit is 60 - safety or fuel economy ?
Neither, its to do with construction and use regulations of the vehicle. Once you go over 56 for a minute the tachograph will record an overspeed, that's why you see trucks often braking downhill to avoid this. There is a lot of operators now will limit there vehicles to 52 mph for fuel economy but in reality the ours return just as good mpg at 56 usually 9 mpg.

The underlying reason for the discrepancy is that the UK uses miles and the EU uses km.

The UK has chosen not to adjust the mph value of the limit to 56 to make it consistent with he EU 90kph limiter requirement.

I would guess that one positive side effect of the limiter is that it sets a very specific operating cruising speed and the HGV manufacturers can design their vehicles to optimise operation at that speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom