ELECTRIC SCOOTERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m not sure you saw that only the authorised rental companies will currently be legalised e.g. the Limes and Ubers so only likely to be in town centres. Privately owned ones are still illegal to use anywhere in public. The tental fee will include insurance. Most likely 3rd party.
Thanks for that info AltonAnt. Hopefully the councils allowing Uber et al will charge them a significant fee for running these scooter fleets in their cities. Councils are winging enough about funds at the moment.

At first I thought making only rental scooters legal was unreasonable but I see the government are promoting them only for serious commuting. They must have a vision of them replacing cars in big cities and don't want youths flying about on them knocking down old ladies. I hope it succeeds and maybe it will in the summer. It takes a different sort of commuter when exposed to wind rain and snow though. What we need is Jetson style covered moving walkways instead - like in airports only faster with multiple lanes so that you hop across to the overtaking lane and go faster still.

Reassuring that this only applies to rental scooters hired by people with driving licences for use on roads but not pavements

NOT so reassuring that in a 30 minute walk to the shops and back I'll see half a dozen privately owned scooters being driven at 15-20 mph by helmet less people on both pavements and roads.

The law is one thing, but people are ignoring it. (Just the same as the idiot Quarantine requirements which people have been ignoring this month between France and the UK - regulations exist but have been ignored)

But, that said, the most suicidal transport, at the moment continues to be the bicycle. either ridden at racetrack speed by the Lycra mob, or by helmet less yummy mummies who've bought one during lockdown.

Mercedes E Class Scooter AMG! :rolleyes: 🤭

Already planned for 2020

5d81fda62e22af6366192da2

Here's the 2019 press release...

Mercedes-Benz is going to join the electric-scooter frenzy with its own model in 2020

At first I thought making only rental scooters legal was unreasonable but I see the government are promoting them only for serious commuting. They must have a vision of them replacing cars in big cities and don't want youths flying about on them knocking down old ladies. I hope it succeeds and maybe it will in the summer. It takes a different sort of commuter when exposed to wind rain and snow though. What we need is Jetson style covered moving walkways instead - like in airports only faster with multiple lanes so that you hop across to the overtaking lane and go faster still.
You’ll still come up behind a whole family who have lost the ability to move their legs and blocking progress for anyone else.

Hi,

Newby here, I have just ordered the Mercedes E Scooter, can't wait for delivery, can anyone suggest suitable "Go fast as Feck" Mods that I can carry out on Day One? 🤔 :rolleyes:

Reactions: 219
'Why the wait..?' It was a play on ordering a MB , particularly AMG with all the bells and whistles. Either way the scooter will probably need a new battery after a few years...typical MB :p

and if the front led bulb dies 'that will be a new scooter sir, sorry but the bulb is not covered by our extensive and comprehensive warranty cover'

A chap in the work has been using a type of E-bike (similar to this one - The Super 73 Electric Bike) for around four months now , he has a seven mile commute.

It has been the most unreliable piece of junk that he has ever owned , the build quality is woeful and the bloody thing keeps cutting out and he ends up pedaling the thing most of the way on a product that cost three times and is four times the weight of an actual bike , the supplying dealer have no clue and just keep sending him bits to swap and try.

I think they have their place as inner city transport but with conditions , which will be un-enforceable in the real world but no doubt will be cleared for use under the "green" banner.

You can imagine the amenity sites in a few years , they will need to have a huge area for WEEE waste which will be full of months old cheap E-transport from the far east , not very "green" at all.

K

There is a reason bicycle frames are generally made in a double diamond shape. Strength. The super-73 electric bike frame will have the strength & rigidity of wet cardboard, especially with those double crown forks. What a piece of junk.

A good 5 + years ago a friend bought a Smart electric bike from MB Newcastle. He went through 2 of them due to warranty issues and in the end just rejected it. They gave him all his money back luckily. Junk.

Double post

Last edited:
"Anyone who buys that because they think it looks cool deserves what they get

...or a Hipster with a stupid beard and new tattoos.

What a piece of junk"

Unfortunately his slightly left field purchase was dictated by his personal circumstances , not vanity at 55 years old although he has a beard and covered head to foot in tats.

No car licence so it had to be two wheels.

Taxis not an option every day when you are pretty much on the "living wage".

Inept public transport when travelling to suit a three shift system.

Living in a high flat there is no secure parking for a motorbike of which he has had numerous stolen , or attempted thefts previously.

The machine is light enough to fit in the lift and be kept in the flat , something a fossil fueled scooter cant be.

Should have been cheap to run with charging taking place at work.

More comfortable (when not pedaling) over seven miles than a stand on scooter.

Should have been less strenuous @55 than cycling after a "shift" cleaning printing presses.

So i can see his logic , to a point.

K

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom