Electric seat problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wrenj

Car
CLK 350 cabrio, E500 estate, Reliant Scimitar GTE, Fiat Punto cabrio and Nissan Pao
Hello. A few months ago we bought an E 500 estate, 2003 53 plate, privately. One problem niggles in an otherwise super car.
When I fold the back of the rear seat down to use the load space, the front passenger seat powers forward automatically. It then refuses to move back again. This means anyone over 5ft 6in with legs cannot sit in the front passenger seat with the load space in use. Fold the back of the rear seat upright again and all the controls work normally again.
An MB main agent felt it was normal and the MB UK helpline is at a loss what the problem is.
The car is unusable for us and unless solved it will be back to a, cough, 5 series.
Any ideas either for a cure or an electrical expert who can have a look at it?

why not just fool the system, i,e, put the rear seats down and then latch the lock over manually with a screwdriver so that it thinks the seat is back up.

Thanks, sounds logical, will give it a try.

That is normal, but you could try fooling the latch sensor as described above or disconnecting the sensor.

Thanks for the idea, which did seem logical. I have tried that now and the car has really objected. The screen shows the legend 'Battery Protection: Convenience function temporarily unavailable' Several functions do not work including passenger seat and parking sensors.
I am now wary of doing any more, does anyone know of, or be, a Mercedes sparkie? willing to have a look.

Perhaps the function can be disabled on a STAR machine ?

i think nearly all the mercs ive had with electric seats had some form of problems common fault i think..

Thanks everyone. The car has calmed down now and everything recovered to how it was. I now suspect there is also a sensor/switch that detects when the back seat is folded flat. I will now follow up the thought about disabling the automatic seat movement on a STAR system.
That will probably not be for a few weeks yet. Will update here if I find an answer.

Thanks for the idea, which did seem logical. I have tried that now and the car has really objected. The screen shows the legend 'Battery Protection: Convenience function temporarily unavailable' Several functions do not work including passenger seat and parking sensors.
I am now wary of doing any more, does anyone know of, or be, a Mercedes sparkie? willing to have a look.

Thats unrelated, its just your small consumer battery got a little low, it will charge up as soon as you start the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom