Electric Sliding Door, Viano

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulP90

Car
LWB Viano
I have a 2014 Viano van with electric sliding doors. One of the cables which opens/closes the door has broken and therefore the door can only be operated manually. I have been in touch with Portsmouth Mercedes and they say that I cannot buy new cables as they come with the motor as one unit, total price £863 plus vat. Surely I can buy some cables separately. Has anyone else had the same issue or any suggestions please. Many thanks

I would expect having a cable made up would be possible.
Wire ropes for lifting gear and shrouds and stays for yachts are made to order. There must be a few of those around Chichester.
Of course removal for it to be copied would be needed.

Tbh though I would want to strip the motor out and check the spiral gear isn't damaged.

I would expect having a cable made up would be possible.
Wire ropes for lifting gear and shrouds and stays for yachts are made to order. There must be a few of those around Chichester.
Of course removal for it to be copied would be needed.

Tbh though I would want to strip the motor out and check the spiral gear isn't damaged.
Thanks very much for your time replying. As it happens I am a sailing/boating instructor and I thought of that. I have been to my local riggers and they can't help as the cables I need are plastic coated. I think I am going to try making some cables from 4mm dyneema. That gauge seems to fit the grooves in the drum perfectly. I'll give it a go and post to this forum with how I get on.

Reactions: m80
I see 2nd hand on eBay are expensive for the whole unit. I've been a ware that there is less activity there during lockdown for many things. 'Maybe' when things settle down some it may be possible for a seller to remove the cable and sell separately, especially if that unit is faulty anyway??

You've reminded me that I need a new forestay for our yacht. It broke and I was lucky the frayed halyard held long enough to get the boat to the dry and mast lowered.
It's in Wales and we haven't been allowed near it for months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom