electric vs petrol hedge trimmers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Is is possible to compare electric to petrol hedge trimmers?

The two below cost roughly the same. OK the petrol can cut a maximum 28mm whilst the electric is 21mm, but I'm just after domestic use, so I assume 21mm is sufficient.

Electric Makita: Makita UH6570/2 65cm 550W Electric Hedge Trimmer | Screwfix.com

Petrol Ryobi: Ryobi RHT2660DA 60cm 26cc Petrol Hedge Trimmer | Screwfix.com

I can reach my hedges with an extension cord, so I don't need the range flexibility of a petrol powered one.

So I'm inclined to buy the electric as it's lighter, quieter and less maintenance (?)

Have I missed anything that makes the petrol more advantageous?

Thanks.

Petrol every time.

Pros

Faster, no wires to cut, no power drop on long lead, lasts for ever, cuts thicker branches, long reach blade

Cons

Heavier, noisy, smoky if too much two-stroke oil used, expensive by comparison

I've had one for several years and think it's probably one of the best garden gadgets I possess.

The petrol can cut a branch that is 33% thicker - that is a significant increase in performance. You would be amazed how thick foliage can become in your average garden hedge.

The cable of an electric cutter has the uncanny ability to always be in the line of cut, too, and the risk of a severed cable is significantly higher than for a lawnmower.

I have a petrol hedge trimmer but occasionally have to use an electric one away from home. The petrol-driven cutter is a significantly more usable and satisfactory tool.

having used both petrol and electric on my hedges, i'd reccomend the petrol every time, yes its noisier, you have to have petrol around, and its a pain to start first time every year, but the difference is incredible - the first time you use a petrol hedgetrimmer after an electric one, its like a lightsabre on the hedges :)

Much depends on the type of hedge you are cutting. If it's privet or similar, electric will do a good job and electrics are generally lighter and pretty well maintenance free. If you have a tougher hedge like laurel then you might do better to go for the petroi which is undoubtedly better (will cut through like butter!). BUT it IS heavier and hard on the arms if you have quite a lot to do. And of course, you've got to mess around with petrol, and it'll never start just when you want to get on with the job!
My personal recommendation for easy hedge cutting is the electric Viking Hel700k, which has a long shaft for high hedges but also makes light work of lower ones. It will cost you a bit more, but you will almost find hedge cutting a pleasure - well almost. lol.

Agree with the 'buy petrol' posts.

All my garden tools are petrol, the electric ones I've had in the past lack that bit of power that you sometimes need.

Also, there is no cord to accidentally cut through so electrocuting yourself is impossible.

petrol every time - it's superb and easy to use.....plus doesn't matter so much if it gets wet...

Yep, petrol every time. I have an electric one and it is a pain in the a***.

In fact electric garden tools generally are to be avoided. I have an electric strimmer which is again a pain in the a***.

The freedom of movement with petrol is everything.

Mic

Thanks everyone. Lots of useful information.

Currently the hedges are about 3m high and 2m deep. I'm wondering whether to pay a tree surgeon for the initial cut-back to 2m high, then I can do the smaller more regular maintenance.

For a 2m deep hedge I presume the electric trimmers with long extension handles are more suitable?

If you can reach reasonably well with an extension cable, then my advice would be to get whatever is the best balanced.
I was lured into buying a B&D electric with a long long cutting blade. I justified it as my hedge is up tosix feet high and around forty feet long - but the balance is so bad that my forearms ache after just a couple of minutes causing me to do a crap job (at least that's my excuse).

There's nothing like holding a two stoke engine in your hands having fun revving the nuts off it and at the same time cutting your hedge!

Thanks everyone. Lots of useful information.

Currently the hedges are about 3m high and 2m deep. I'm wondering whether to pay a tree surgeon for the initial cut-back to 2m high, then I can do the smaller more regular maintenance.

For a 2m deep hedge I presume the electric trimmers with long extension handles are more suitable?

Yes, get someone else to reduce the height. Then get ELECTRIC. Firstly they are light. Secondly they are light. And last but not least they are light. If your hedge is a normal domestic hedge regularly trimmed, you will not need the heavy cutting abilities of the petrol. If you don't have too much hedge then electric is best.

I just got a new one, with 60cm blade, from B&Q for £25. Unbeatable value. I cut our hedges 4 times a year.They are over 3m high so I use staging, and only use a long reach rechargeable to cut the furthest extremes of a hedge more than 2m wide at the top (blame the neighbours for that).

Petrol is a boys toy (unless you really need it). Save your arms go electric.

What type of hedge is it? At 3m hgh x 2m deep sounds like a thickstem ie laurel or rhododendron. Makes a massive difference. Post the type then I will advise further.

What type of hedge is it? At 3m hgh x 2m deep sounds like a thickstem ie laurel or rhododendron. Makes a massive difference. Post the type then I will advise further.

Don't know about Will, but my hedge is privet.

I'm not too sure of the names, so here's a photo. It's only 2m wide at the top of the new growth. I imagine it's 1-1.5m of more mature thicker growth, if that makes sense.

P1070687.JPG

Last edited:
If they are anything like chainsaws I would choose electric.

I have three professional and meaty petrol stihl chainsaws.

They are such a pita to keep fettled I bought an aldi electric cheapie + honda generator.

I see that Ryobi do this 'expand it' range. Looks like a nice idea. Though my experience of all-in-one power tools (not ryobi) was rather mixed.

Ryobi Direct

it's not clear to me what power until (electric/petrol) you buy to fit those attachments.

Last edited:
Got to be a petrol strimmer, also make sure you get it detailed so you can sell it for more when you are done with it :D

class :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom