Electric windows weirdness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulW

Car
260E
Hi,
I have a W124 260E. Today the electric windows(all of them) decided to stop working, well I say stop working ..... they only work when the door(driver or passenger side have'nt tried back doors) is open :crazy:
Not being electrically minded I am slightly confused, can anyone shed any light on this and what to look for :confused:

Cheers.
Paul

after disconnecting the battery on mine the same thing happened however i disconnected it again left it a while reconnected it and every thing was fine

Gazza

It is common for window lifts to work with the door open, regardless of ignition position. And, of course, they work when the ignition is on, regardless of whether the doors are open or not.

The solution to the problem depends on whether there is a clever electronic brain controlling your windows or if it is driven by conventional relays and wires, I would suspect the latter but hopefully someone here will be able to give better guidance.

First off, have you checked all of the fuses? Check all of them in all locations - just to be safe (check the handbook for details of locations). After that, there isn't much more you can do if you aren't electrically minded since the next place to look (having eliminated the existence of an electronic control unit) would be the relays.
However, the advice above - about disconnecting and reconnecting the battery - is certainly worth following. This fix seems to cure a whole range of ailments on many cars nowadays.

Good luck

Philip

Fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom