Electric Windows woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neiledgar

Car
Mercedes C320 Estate 2003
Hi guys, my C320 w203 model, has a fault with the drivers electric window. It has stuck down, and won't come up at all. This happened a few days ago, once, and after I opened and shut the door it worked ok, should have taken that as a warning, but didnt! Anyway, now it's down and won't budge, are there any quick fixes, the switch I feel may be at the end of its life! I lifted the top of the switch off to reveal the way ire switch underneath, but, I still can't get it to work, by manually moving the inne switch parts. There does appear to be a clicking noise, on the inside of the door, under the small speaker that's sitting atwndow hight, sort of behind the door mirror area.
This is Scotland guys and it rains every day here, can you help and suggest if there is. Anyway, I can shut the window manually, at least saving the interior?
The electrics can get sorted by those who know, can anyone help me please?. I'm really stuck here the cars getting damper by the second, I've hit dome sheeting over her, but it's not ideal, I'm limited due to my disability and can't get it any tighter, thanks guys and gals I hope you can help

Like all of us, well certainly me, as we get older it seems to take a bit more to get us moving. I remember having occasional window problems with my W208 that I fiddled around with unsuccessfully. Then I happened to notice that the problems with raising it (the window!) always occurred when the battery was a tad on the low side. Simply put the battery on charge and the window works fine. The tired bits of the mechanism definitely need a bit more oomph than when new. Try fully charging your battery before farting around with anything else.

Thanks for your messages guys, well, because it's a job I could do sitting, my disabilities allowed me to attempt a repair, and I did it, I found and sorted the fault, so I'll list the details below so if anyone else has the problem, here is one possible fix.
I removed the door card as per the Haynes manual and with the info off the MB club members. Once the door card was removed, without taking off or isolating the door air bag, no need to touch it at this stage. Behind the door card, there as a large connector box, with other computerised items where loads of electric connect, like door mirrors, under door light, and of course window switches fit in it as well.
I simply found that the plug for the door window switches, appeared to be rather loose, so I unplugged it, cleaned the terminals both in the computer box, and the switch plug, then the magic WD40 was sprayed on them both, I then took the time to removed, clean, and spray all the other plugs that were fitted into the control box, well, I thought why not when I'm in there?
Once all this was done, I rebuilt the door card back onto the door, and then I tried it, and YES !! She worked fine!
What was wrong was that inside the door, behind the door card, it's very dry and warm, and together with vibration, it can cause things to work loose and that's what I feel happened in my case, it just all worked loose, making for poor contact, especially for the drivers window.

So, if you have a problem, don't always think it's a serious fault like I did, go for the easiest option first, it may not be the answer but if it is, your laughing! From start to finish, the job took 35 minuets sitting on a chair with the use of Tory drive sockets 23/ 30/ 35 in my case, and a tin of the old WD40 and my car was back in perfect order!

Thanks for reading this guys, and thank you for your input and advice, I do hope this post may help someone with the same problems!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom