Electric Windows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyjester900

Car
C200 W202
Hi,

How hard is it to put electric windows on the rear
windows when the car has winders?
W202 96'

stupid winders makes the car look cheap..

Cheers

Brad

It's not difficult as I've put them in on my car. However it is a fiddly job unless you can get the complete loom from a car being broken, otherwise you have to run wires from the front and back fuse boxes to the window motors and switches.

It's easier to put in on a pre-prefacelift car (with the square switches) as the switch packs were independent of each other and the only problem thing is the child safety control. It's more difficult with the facelift type switches which are rounded as these come on a one piece board.

so i can "Motorize" the rear windows without putting in a motor?

my friend has an old 180 which i think he is scrapping?

what would i need to take.

P.S. is my car pre facelift?

thanks

P.S. is my car pre facelift?

The W202 was split into 3 editions :

Pre-Pre Facelift - 1993-1995 (Square interior switches, orange side repeaters)
Pre-Facelift - 1995-1997 (Rounded switches but with same pre-pre facelift bodystyling)
Facelift - 1997+ (More refined body styling)

I would hazard a guess yours is the pre-facelift as its a 1996 for which I think you will need the complete wiring set, switches, window regulators and moters for rear to fit rear electric windows.

Last edited:
cheers,

that sounds a little above my experience..

can't justify that expense .

thanks.......

There may be another way of achieving your goal, it won’t be 100% of what you want, because the driver won’t be able to control the rear windows however the rear passengers will be able to operate the windows from the rear switches.

I haven’t thought this through and not sure what pitfalls you could encounter but if you installed 2 Window Regulators and wired them independently from the existing window circuit by taking the power supply from a spare fuse holder in the boot.

When a window opens the motor revolves in one direction and lowers the glass.
When a window closes the motor revolves in the opposite direction and raises the glass.
The switch switches the polarity, causing the motor to revolve in the opposite direction.

So all you would need is 2 Window regulators and 2 rear switches plus enough wire to do the job.

The only other issue is the door card hole? where the round winder sits, it will have to be modified to accommodate the square nature of the window switch.

If you got hold of a Window Regulator with its power plug and some of its wiring still attached and a rear window switch also with some of its wiring still attached and using a battery or battery charger for a power source you could experiment with the switch wiring until you got the motor to operate properly.

This type of Window Regulator is much simpler than later versions as it has just 2 wires gong to it

Dec

Last edited:
I just thought it through, my idea is not going to work because when the motor closes the window there will be nothing to tell the motor to shut off and so the motor will continue working and burn itself out IF the window switch is continually pressed.

Dec

jester900 your car is praticlly a vision of wat i wanted to do to mine, im still thincking about wat rims to get the proper amg ones for the 202 or get the ones from ur car which i think r from an e class, anyways were did u get those rims from???

I just thought it through, my idea is not going to work because when the motor closes the window there will be nothing to tell the motor to shut off and so the motor will continue working and burn itself out IF the window switch is continually pressed.

Dec

yeh, your right,

Thanks for putting in the time to think about it though...
appreciate it..

It's only a little thing and non essential just was curious about it!!
:)

jester900 your car is praticlly a vision of wat i wanted to do to mine, im still thincking about wat rims to get the proper amg ones for the 202 or get the ones from ur car which i think r from an e class, anyways were did u get those rims from???

I got the Rims from Australia!!!

where are you from?

i got them from a factory that does not supply to the public,
i did some photographic work for the company shot all their
rims for their new calaouge and that was my payment :)

but if you are in Aus, i can talk to them and i'm sure they
will sort you out.. :)

cheers

Brad

ahh thanx man but im from gibraltar, thing is my car is vry similar to urs dark blue and its a classic too so its how my car would look with those rims, and it does look rlly good well anyways thanx for the help

ps i also think winders look cheap i dnt know why mercs dnt bring electrics as standard.

peace

jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom