Electrical safety certificate 18th edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
Hi

For an ESC to be issued my electrician is telling me the fuseboard must have an rcbo on both sides of the board or its a fail. Is this a legal requirement or simply an advisory?

This is for a private house not rented accommodation.

If this is the case then surely most household in the UK MUST need updating.

Thanks in advance

Yes you are absolutely right most uk households need updating, most only get anything done when selling.

I would suggest getting another opinion. Within BS 7671 (the 18th Edition and previous editions) it states: “Existing installations that have been installed in accordance with earlier editions of the Regulations may not comply with this edition in every respect. This does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading”.

I would suggest getting another opinion. Within BS 7671 (the 18th Edition and previous editions) it states: “Existing installations that have been installed in accordance with earlier editions of the Regulations may not comply with this edition in every respect. This does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading”.
Exactly this, if it was correct at the time of commissioning then unless there is a change of use, it is fine, but get a second opinion...

We would forever be replacing things if a change in regulations or an amendment to standards had to be adhered too.

Just had an electrical condition report done for my house.

installation is at least 20 years old and there is no RCD protection on the fuse board. The installation was deemed satisfactory for continued use with a recommendation for rcd protection to be fitted in the future.

recommendations are advisory unlike requirements.

nobody is required to update their electrical installation every time the regs are updated.

Looking for some extra work ? A lot of new regs aren't retrospective, home oil storage tanks have had to be double skinned for years but you don't have to change your current tank until you actually need a replacement.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think it's him trying to find more work to do/charge for.

My wife just wants it done so we will be going ahead anyway

Each circuit is wired into an RCBO on the newer boards and that’s a good thing. No idea what one on each side means.

There’s no problem if you want to fit one for extra safety. Maybe he’ll even fit surge protection. Get some spare ways for future expansion whilst you are at it.

Each circuit is wired into an RCBO on the newer boards and that’s a good thing. No idea what one on each side means.

There’s no problem if you want to fit one for extra safety. Maybe he’ll even fit surge protection. Get some spare ways for future expansion whilst you are at it.
It was I think common for lighting circuits to not be on an RCD, that's certainly the case for our board. My daughter has just had the board replaced on her house and there are two RCDs on the board, one for the lights and one for everything else.

It was I think common for lighting circuits to not be on an RCD, that's certainly the case for our board. My daughter has just had the board replaced on her house and there are two RCDs on the board, one for the lights and one for everything else.

I thought they were supposed to be mixed - ie downstairs sockets and upstairs lights on one RCD, then the opposite on the other. That way one RCD tripping doesn't take out all the lights.

I thought they were supposed to be mixed - ie downstairs sockets and upstairs lights on one RCD, then the opposite on the other. That way one RCD tripping doesn't take out all the lights.
I think you're right, definitely makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom