Electrical Wizards Help Needed!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thmsshaun

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 C300 4Matic, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2015 Triumph Tiger800 XCX
If anyone can help me with this project there may well be a pint in it for you :D

If you have read the interior posts you will see I have bought a leather interior and the fron seats are heated.

[thread=14237]Leather Transplant[/thread]

What I am trying to acheive is to wire these seats up into my car.

Took part of the lume out of the donor vehicle.

The parts being.

The plug from the seat to where the cable goes into the trunking. This starts at the seat as 4 wires going down into 2. One being brown earthed to the chassis and the one dissapearing in the trunking is black and grey (POWER?) I will get the part number later or does the number just relate to the socket?

The second part is from the switch on the centre console this has 5 wires and goest to??? I do have the part no A202 540 4709

How the hell can a seat work with 2 heat settings or is it just a timer? When 4 wires go down into 2. Dont you just love car electronics. :confused:

So in summary I have all OEM connectors and switches I guess must be lacking a Relay somewhere.

I am going to go to AB Butt in the morning and see what they can do all though i am guessing £££'s

Any views thoughts ideas please.

Thanks

Shaun

Thmsshaun said:
If anyone can help me with this project there may well be a pint in it for you :D

If you have read the interior posts you will see I have bought a leather interior and the fron seats are heated.

[thread=14237]Leather Transplant[/thread]

What I am trying to acheive is to wire these seats up into my car.

Took part of the lume out of the donor vehicle.

The parts being.

The plug from the seat to where the cable goes into the trunking. This starts at the seat as 4 wires going down into 2. One being brown earthed to the chassis and the one dissapearing in the trunking is black and grey (POWER?) I will get the part number later or does the number just relate to the socket?

The second part is from the switch on the centre console this has 5 wires and goest to??? I do have the part no A202 540 4709

How the hell can a seat work with 2 heat settings or is it just a timer? When 4 wires go down into 2. Dont you just love car electronics. :confused:

So in summary I have all OEM connectors and switches I guess must be lacking a Relay somewhere.

I am going to go to AB Butt in the morning and see what they can do all though i am guessing £££'s

Any views thoughts ideas please.

Thanks

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

Haven't got time to reply in detail at the moment, but the seats do have two heat settings.

Cheers,

Will

Thats ok. Just read on an american forum something about a heater module that controls them??

Where is is on the car if I need this I can probably arrange for it from the breakers the seats came from as no doubt it will be cheaper than the stealers.

HI have just fitted leather seats to my w203 and as a treat thought i would fit heaters in the seat got the switch from e bay for £4.50 the loom was £25 the heat pads x4 was about £80.The two settings are the main one is 13.5 volt with a 10 min timer the second setting is a pulsed 6 volt no timer.
hope this is of help.

Thanks

So what I need is the thing that chooses the pulse or the timer. Got the switch. But how much is the box of tricks that makes it work.

Where is it on the car for if I need to get this one from the breakers.

I can only say for the kit I have which also has 2 heat settings. Wiring is as follows:

+ batt to relay to 3 position switches. Depending on which heat setting you choose the "+" is routed through one wire or the other one. The "+" is then divided into back and seat heating elements. I can only assume that each pad has a dual circuit, whereby you can only heat some elements (heat setting one) or all the elements together. There is no timer but a built-in thermostat which cuts power off after a certain heat level.

Last edited:
GARYB said:
HI have just fitted leather seats to my w203 and as a treat thought i would fit heaters in the seat got the switch from e bay for £4.50 the loom was £25 the heat pads x4 was about £80.The two settings are the main one is 13.5 volt with a 10 min timer the second setting is a pulsed 6 volt no timer.
hope this is of help.

This makes sense from the wiring I have seen. Is this the OEM controller. If so how much?

Subyland said:
I can only say for the kit I have which also has 2 heat settings. Wiring is as follows:

+ batt to relay to 3 position switches. Depending on which heat setting you choose the "+" is routed through one wire or the other one. The "+" is then divided into back and seat heating elements. I can only assume that each pad has a dual circuit, whereby you can only heat some elements (heat setting one) or all the elements together. There is no timer but a built-in thermostat which cuts power off after a certain heat level.

Heat pads run on power x time. Pulsed means that it simulates a lower setting and full power runs for 10 min. All of the timing functions are performed by the SAM (fuse box). The only additional function is that which relates to heated steering wheels. I dont believe there is a physical control box just for seat heating.

Everything you need to visualise is underneath in the pic. Ignore the yellow section.

Last edited:
Thanks for that although looking an expensive job if I go the OEM route :crazy:

Control Unit is £84.42+VAT :crazy: 3 Available all in Germany
New wiring lume complete is £114.68 +VAT of which there is one available in Germany. These prices are quoted by MB of Derby. The guy was extremley helpful so all credit there. I was expecting them to fob me off.

The bit in the yellow is the main control module. I can possibly get this module off the donor car. Any idea where abouts on the car it is as I will have to explain to the guy so he can get it. As I dont fancy another 300 mile round trip to Trowbridge.

Although in theory the switch is a 2 way rocker. I must be able to get some after market relays even is one doesnt do a pulsed voltage it does it for say 5 mins and the other one 10 mins.

Miro,

Can we get any more deatil as to what wire does what on the switches??

Lol ill just keep a fire extinguisher by my side :p Oh and I wont hold anyone liable for my getting a burnt **** due to incorect wiring :devil:

Thmsshaun said:
Thanks for that although looking an expensive job if I go the OEM route :crazy:

Control Unit is £84.42+VAT :crazy: 3 Available all in Germany
New wiring lume complete is £114.68 +VAT of which there is one available in Germany. These prices are quoted by MB of Derby. The guy was extremley helpful so all credit there. I was expecting them to fob me off.

The bit in the yellow is the main control module. I can possibly get this module off the donor car. Any idea where abouts on the car it is as I will have to explain to the guy so he can get it. As I dont fancy another 300 mile round trip to Trowbridge.

Although in theory the switch is a 2 way rocker. I must be able to get some after market relays even is one doesnt do a pulsed voltage it does it for say 5 mins and the other one 10 mins.

Miro,

Can we get any more deatil as to what wire does what on the switches??

Lol ill just keep a fire extinguisher by my side :p Oh and I wont hold anyone liable for my getting a burnt **** due to incorect wiring :devil:

I would like to suggest such a thing as ordering the parts in Germany from the outset. The main harness is so precise that it is worth having.

www.speed-autoteile.com

F1--------Fuse and relay box
F1f1------Fuse 1
F1f11-----Fuse 11
N25/5-----Front HS [SIH] control module
N25/5s1---Left front heated seat (HS [SIH]) switch
N25/5s2---Right front heated seat (HS [SIH]) switch
R13/1-----Left front seat heated cushion
R13/2-----Left front backrest heated cushion
R13/3-----Right front seat heated cushion
R13/4-----Right front backrest heated cushion
U1--------Valid for I
U152 -----Valid for model 202
U153------Valid for model 208
W6-------Ground (left wheelhousing in trunk)
W18------Ground (left front seat crossmember)
W19------Ground (right front seat crossmember)
X55/3-----Driver seat contacting strip
X55/4-----Passenger seat contacting strip
Z81-------Circuit 58d connector sleeve (feed from instr. cluster (IC [KI])

Where do you get this info Miro. Top Man.

Thanks.

sorry the pic quality isnt great but this is the wiring from the back of the switch.

seatlume.jpg

5 Wires

purple / white pin 1
blue/yellow pin 2
green/blue pin 3
blue/grey pin 5
Brown pin 6

Does anyone know the function of each wire?

Well a few things to check out so I will report back later.

Last edited:
Been doing some thinking and nocked up a simple diagram of what I have a t the minute and what I can possibly intergrate. Question is still finding out what those bloody switch wires do. Think ill make up a sample circuit in the bedroom off a transformer to turn a light switch on for said period bright and dim. :rolleyes: Set myself some challenges but not giving MB the satisfaction of taking my money.

Attachments

• seats theory.JPG
    seats theory.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 225
I have managed to get hold of a pdf which shows the full wiring diagram for heated seats.
Not sure of the rules regarding publishing it here, I'll gladly do so if I get the ok.
Otherwise just PM me your email address and I'll send it on to you.

Is it the Russian site? If so, then this is the link to a C230's diagrams. The C280 is the same (sadly no C43). Heated seats are halfway down (under 'H'!!!!)

Follow this link

then select Mercedes benz from the list on the left. Next click on the second of the four links at the top (the one whose second word looks like CXEM61). Then choose the link that has just appeared with 'Mitchell on demand' in it.

The drop-down box that has now appeared is the year selector for the model. It goes as far as 1997 so use that. Next comes 'Model'. Again, C280 is the best you'll get. In the last box to appear choose 'SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAMS'

Good luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom