Electricians: domestic electrical help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smatt

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 E350Cdi Estate Auto
Hi,
Would appreciate some help;
Wondering if anyone can tell me the specifics regarding an external weatherproof socket near to a bunded external heating oil tank. What is the closest the socket can be sited to the tank, please?
Thanks for any help,
Matt

No specific regulation in BS 7671, afaik, but common sense should be used.

The socket should be sited outside or above the bunding, so it cannot be flooded in the event of leakage.

The tank, if metal, will need to be bonded to earth as an "extraneous conductive item"

Check the regulations controlling oil tanks as they may have a specific requirement.

What exactly is the socket for? Why does it need to be close to the tank?

Hi Meldrew2,
Thanks for the reply.
Mainly for convenience really- its a storage area -outside but sheltered & near to the mains supply. The tank is a self enclosed bunded tank- the socket would be external to this & just for occasional use of appliances.
I wondered if there was some minimum distance in case of sparks, although possibly should not be too much of a problem with an IP rated socket. I was thinking of 3 foot away, but otherwise will have to site it on the other side of the storage area- just a bit more involved...
Thanks again

Hi Smatt

3 foot away sounds fine - make sure that you get a proper IP55 weatherproof socket that remains waterproof when in use (about £30), not just one of the cheaper splashproof ones that are not waterproof when something is plugged in.

Check that your fuse box contains a RCD rated at 30ma - if not you will need a socket that has one of these integrated (about £50)

Exposed cables will need suitable mechanical protection - often it is simplest to use SWA (armoured) cable - and have the cable entering the outside socket from below if possible (to avoid ingress of water).

There's more chance of sparks from whatever appliance / power tool you are using than from the socket. As long as the area is well ventilated (ie fumes cannot build up) there should not be an issue.

Last edited:
Sorry fuzzer, my questions was more for Meldrew2 who recommended an IP55 socket.

Thanks all.
Yes, I have one of those sockets already & everything is protected by RCCDs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom