Electrify America

• Thread starter Deleted member 126969
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 126969

Just watched a review of the iD4 by Jason of Engineering Explained and while the car review was of interest, one thing really caught my attention - may well be common knowledge but it was new to me. Anyhoo, as part of their reparations for Dieselgate, VW had to spend $2bn building an America-wide charging network for the use of all. It's not free to all, but it's there and is getting to be almost as big as the Tesla Supercharger network apparently.

It is free charging for the first 3 years of the VW ownership - more details in the video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But to my point....why haven't we got VW doing something similar here as well?? As in, fronting some serious cash to build up the charging network as penance for their heinous crime? All we seem to get are scumbag ambulance chasing blame-game lawyers getting rich on the back of yet another class-action case, son of PPI.

I love the fact that VW have even got the front to challenge the case in the UK despite being found guilty elsewhere in the world and already shelled out in excess of £26bn

One related subject which I only recently became aware of was that TEXAS who recently suffered massive power outages during their recent cold snap is not connected to the US GRID being essentially isolated and unable to draw/ import power from other states in the event of high local state demand.

Just watched a review of the iD4 by Jason of Engineering Explained and while the car review was of interest, one thing really caught my attention - may well be common knowledge but it was new to me. Anyhoo, as part of their reparations for Dieselgate, VW had to spend $2bn building an America-wide charging network for the use of all. It's not free to all, but it's there and is getting to be almost as big as the Tesla Supercharger network apparently.

It is free charging for the first 3 years of the VW ownership - more details in the video.

But to my point....why haven't we got VW doing something similar here as well?? As in, fronting some serious cash to build up the charging network as penance for their heinous crime? All we seem to get are scumbag ambulance chasing blame-game lawyers getting rich on the back of yet another class-action case, son of PPI.

I love the fact that VW have even got the front to challenge the case in the UK despite being found guilty elsewhere in the world and already shelled out in excess of £26bn
VW clearly think Brits are an easy touch. Simple answer to that.

What would be really nice is a global standard for EV networks, and now i would think is the right time to do/enforce it? Otherwise are we going to end up with the automotive equivalent of the twenty odd different charging cables I have for my various laptops and phones and tablets etc?

One related subject which I only recently became aware of was that TEXAS who recently suffered massive power outages during their recent cold snap is not connected to the US GRID being essentially isolated and unable to draw/ import power from other states in the event of high local state demand.
I have a lot of colleagues in Houston and one was saying this is because Texas doesn’t want to lose control of its power to the Federal government, hence keeping it completely isolated. I guess it works both ways!

@Chris-S Could the answer here be that vw had to 'invest' rather than 'spend' 2bn on the charging network? I haven't researched the detail on this but the cynic in me would suggest that the optics of this are good PR for US authorities but in reality another financial win for vw.

What would be really nice is a global standard for EV networks, and now i would think is the right time to do/enforce it? Otherwise are we going to end up with the automotive equivalent of the twenty odd different charging cables I have for my various laptops and phones and tablets etc?

The closest we have to a standard is CCS which Tesla are LSO now using on the Model 3

I have a lot of colleagues in Houston and one was saying this is because Texas doesn’t want to lose control of its power to the Federal government, hence keeping it completely isolated. I guess it works both ways!
There are other USER FINANCIAL issues exacerbated by GRID isolation.

VW are 'fronting' the case in the UK because they got stung for $40billion in the USA , the FBI were on to them , Trump was going to kick the company out of the USA, VW were literally fooked . What do you (any of us ) think is going to happen to VW in the UK ? Nothing , that's what (and they know it) , OK maybe a little compensation here and there. But basically nada.

The UK government might want to threaten to kick out VW, Mercedes Benz and BMW out of the UK in response to their own alleged 'diesel gate' type issues but they would just laugh at our government and get all legal (obviously) and would probably win as everyone will point out 'how dare the UKgov spend £X millions on legal fees when it was UKgov who insisted we all buy diesel cars !!', that's why the 'ambulance chasing' lawyers are critical in this here in the UK , no one else is going to stand up to VW et al ? If I had a VW that fell into this catagory I would be on to the lawyers in a heart beat, no win no fee , so what ? if I got 10pence out of VW I would have least seen them spend a few bob on their legal defence. VW is a Foreign company that is cheating UK consumers and HMRC out of money . he UK government should do what the US government did.

As for anyone in the EU trying to get anything out of one of the biggest government subsidised companies in Germany............

America still has its own auto industry. Britain does not. Kinda influences what is and isn't possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom