Electronic Engine Oil Level

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joecash

Car
S320 CDI
My handbook says my E320 CDI requires 7.5 litres of Engine Oil
Am I correct in thinking that this (7.5), give or take, should be indicated electronically after vehicle has stood on the flat and level for 10 minutes or so after a run to get it hot?

The reason I am asking is that recently the vehicle "told me" to add 1 litre, which I did.

After adding the litre and allowing 10 mins or so for it to settle I did the electronic level check and it read 6.0 litres.

No messages have come up since to say add more.

What to do..........

Grateful for views

Thanks Joe

What's model year? My -04 tells only 'oil level ok'. I have not checked if it could be coded via star to show amount, because by plugging the star the reading is there. And there are certain limits when warning pops up, evidently 6L in inside the range...

My CLK only says level ok or if top up is needed it will tell me how much to add.

I drive BMWs at work with a similar system, on occasion they have said oil low so i have added the required amount then gone out, moments later flashes up oil required. As i know it is ok just left it, then after a little drive message doesnt re apear. So my point is, does the engine need running or anything before checking again.. May take time for the sensor to work it out or something..

Carrsey
good point will get it on the flat and level Saturday and see what the reading is then

I believe the oil level should be checked with the engine hot (normal operating temperature) on level ground. Remember oil expands slightly when hot. You will need to turn the engine off and wait about five minutes before the system will allow you to check it.

I know it's not the same car, but mine has a capacity of 6.5L. Using the cluster engineering menu, it's never read more than 6.2L when stone cold. When warm it reads lower, due to oil being dispersed around the engine.

It's never asked for oil since I owned it (nealry 8 years), despite the stone cold level going as low as 5.2L.

What we don't know, without a dipstick to cross-check, is how accurate the indicator is.

Last edited:
The engine's oil capacity stated in the owners manual is the maximum capacity when toping-up to the Max mark (on an imaginary dipstick, if the car isn't equipped with one).

Yet MB recommends that the oil quantity should be below the Max to prevent potential diesel engine damage resulting from overfilling or from oil expanding when hot.

So one litre less than Max capacity should be OK.

On another note, MB dealers regularly underfill by one litre for the reasons given above - yet bill for the full capacity as per the engine's spec... nice little earner that is.

Right, but the point is we have no way of knowing even if the "engineering" display in litres is correct (or even consistent).

Good point.

Valid points and having just changed my oil I will try the above method tomorrow to see what sort of reading I get. I know exactly how much oil I put in, so it should be interesting.

The engine's oil capacity stated in the owners manual is the maximum capacity when toping-up to the Max mark (on an imaginary dipstick, if the car isn't equipped with one).

Yet MB recommends that the oil quantity should be below the Max to prevent potential diesel engine damage resulting from overfilling or from oil expanding when hot.

So one litre less than Max capacity should be OK.

On another note, MB dealers regularly underfill by one litre for the reasons given above - yet bill for the full capacity as per the engine's spec... nice little earner that is.

The overfill thing (I've never had that message but seen it mentioned plenty of times) seems weird to me.

I'm not sure I really buy that the oil expands much, and anyway, when the engine is running, a fair amount of it is distributed around the engine. So I wonder what the high oil warning is referencing?

Strikes me that if the sump is supposed to hold (in my car) 6.5L then if the display says 6.5L when stone cold that should be OK.

As you suggest, it seems you can also be a long way below that without issue - I'm sure I've read on MB's with dipsticks there's 2L from min to max and, as mentioned previously, mines been down to 5.2L and still wasn't asking for oil.

Mine has two litres between Min and Max, and it came back from the dealer on the Min... they still charged for the full capacity though :(

Valid points and having just changed my oil I will try the above method tomorrow to see what sort of reading I get. I know exactly how much oil I put in, so it should be interesting.

Checked oil level today using the 'Service Mode' display option.
Display Reading: ol: 5.6l
Quantity added at oil & filter change 6.0l
Capacity of oil filter 0.4l ???? (Can't find confirmation of this).

So I would assume that my oil level sensor is quite accurate.

mtencemode1b_zpsae1fc2ab.jpg

Capacity of oil filter 0.4l ???? (Can't find confirmation of this).

MB oil filters (at least in these older CDIs) are not 'containing' oil (like normal steel shell filters which may take some deciliters), it's upside down and draining back to the sump. New paper filter will absorb small amount of oil but never 0,4L. So I would say there is some offset in reading...

MB oil filters (at least in these older CDIs) are not 'containing' oil (like normal steel shell filters which may take some deciliters), it's upside down and draining back to the sump. New paper filter will absorb small amount of oil but never 0,4L. So I would say there is some offset in reading...

Are you sure? I can't believe that the filter drains and has to re-fill every time the car is turned off and re-started.
According to the workshop manual, quote - Note: By removing the filter cap, the oil will drain from the housing back into the sump.

Yes I was told by a dealer that they never fill to capacity as the sensor is so sensitive that it will often register overfill. Going on a long trip checked oil thought it too low and topped it up and got the overfill message had to take it to the dealer who drained some. Fortunately they did not charge for it. And yes they always charge for the full capacity on an oil change.

Note: By removing the filter cap, the oil will drain from the housing back into the sump.

Umm - yes you are right it may not drain immediately after engine stop but I would it remain there forever until opening the cap, I doubt? Perhaps that why measurement should be done with warm engine? Anyway, here is example how oil level drops when engine is started and oil starts to circulate:
How to measure oil level on W211 & S211 Mercedes Benz E-klasse - YouTube

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom