Electronic Ignition M114

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackasti

Car
1972 250CE
Greeting People who understand this sort of thing.
I have a 1972 250CE/8, 6 cylinder 114 engined creature that is preforming admirably but...being a pessimist and horrified at being stuck on the hard shoulder of the A1, in the rain ( there is a tale to tell on another occasion), I would like to fit reliable electronic ignition. I wish to do away with the sparky bits that are likely to fail.
I would be most grateful if any soul could advise me on the best and most reliable system to fit. I do have a tame mechanic to carry out the work.

Any and all advice would be most appreciated....

Thanks Greame, I have supplied Charles with loads of parts for his epic rebuild but there is no way I can go down the route of Megasquirt as my ability, budget, competence and patience is no match for Charles's. the 123 system seems to be the short solution
Many thanks

Thanks Graeme, 123 ignition device is now on it's way from SC Parts. Cheaper than I thought at £399 inc VAT and Delivery.
Have you any suggestions as to which would be the most appropriate, and best HT leads to fit? Mine are starting to age and will require replacement.
Charles Morgan is visiting to rummage in my parts bin this week so I will grill him over a coffee.
Regards
Colin

Last edited:
Hi Colin - I'd ask 123 directly as it is the sort of technical question they should be able to answer definitively.

By coincidence I have a full set of new copper HT leads bought in error. If those work, we can do a swap!

I would go for 123 ignition. I have it on my Ponton 190.
Have a look at leen apk in Holland, excellent service and may have it in stock.
Most dealers only in UK only have in stock for British made cars, MG etc.

Thanks all, 123 unit has arrived from SC Parts Group, Charles Morgan (God Bless 'im) is bringing me some redundant copper cored HT leads and 6 x NGK plugs are en route. Next question for you Merc' Masters....have you a recommendation for an ignition coil? I have a Bosch one fitted which is probably 40 years old. I can not see any identifying numbers only "1" and "15" on the top near the terminals. Seems sensible to have a new one to go with the other new bits.

Best contact 123 for a recommendation. A few pitfalls to be avoided involving ballast resistors and primary coil resistance.
try this for background.
http://www.the-daily-rust.com/downloads/tipsforthe123distributor.pdf1

and this

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BlueCoil.html1

usually 15 is +ve ------1 is -ve=to coil to measure the coils primary resistance [ low voltage] put a multimeter across pin 15 and pin 1 and note the reading in ohms normally 0.5 to 1.5 ohms but may be higher with an internal ballast resistor

Last edited:
Thanks All: 123 unit, Bosch Red coil, new NGK plugs, Copper core HT Leads (courtesy of Charles Morgan) loads of advice and a tame mechanic....all set then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom