Electronic Power System Failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris.neeves

Car
E320 CDi
Hi,

For the third time in 2 months my Benz has broken down with electronic problems.( just out of warranty so 800quid so far. :mad: ) Definetely the most unreliable car have had the misfortune to own. However i will persevere a little bit longer. Today's problem is 'Electronic power system failure' followed by the usual return to service then complete shutdown.... Which was not particularly helpful as it was probably the coldest day of the year, i had a 3 year old in tow, no money, and we were not dressed for waiting around in the cold.

Please could someone tell me what the Electronic power system actually is, and any common known faults i might be able to fix myself. I have managed to get the car towed home, and checked all of the fuses ( left and rside engine bay and under rear seat ) which are ok. Unfortuneatly my local independant MB garage is not back till jan 3rd, and i really need to get back on the road b4 then.

Many thanks

Chris

2002 E320CDi W210 Estate

You could ask your MB dealer to do the fixes under "goodwill" (as it is just out of warranty)

R

(ps, its a 210 not a 211 isnt it, if its a 211 they really should do things under goodwill because of the amount of 'recall' work they secretly have done whilst its been serviced , hours and hours of it!)

Last edited:
Reactions: PJH
Unfortuneatly it's a 210 and the stealer does'nt want to know. However the dash has been changed on my car by the previous owner. I did have only about gallon and a half of diesel left when it died on me which is the lowest it has ever been. I am wondering if the dash is not calibrated for my tank size and i have run out of derv. On a modern diesel they just shut down instead of spluttering and then shutting down when running out ???? if that is true then the computer would see a failure of the engine, assume the worst and shutdown. Does anyone know the venting / purging procedure for a 320 derv ? might be quick fix.

many thanks

chris, sounds like its had some issues in the past, any idea why the dash was changed ? they could have trapped some wires or something when replacing it which could throw up all kinds off errors! or the reason why the dash was changed was to remedy the problem you are getting now?!?!

i doubt very much the new dash would have to be calibrated to tank size tho, as the info should be recieved by the sending units.

needs a MB star diag attached to find out where the problem lies!

sorry i cant help anymore,

Alps said:
i doubt very much the new dash would have to be calibrated to tank size tho, as the info should be recieved by the sending units.
The instrument cluster IS calibrated to the tank capacity, but there are few options so it's basically the usual tank or an extra-capacity tank like they allegedly use in ZA etc.

I don't think that's the problem.

Just put in 2 gallons and derv, and after 3 goes she started, albeit a bit rough. However 2 new malfunctions have appeared. BAS and ABS which along with ESP failure were last months electrical gremlins. Trouble is i don't trust the car at all now, so off to the garage on tuesday. Battery appears to be strong, but i will put on charge tonight to see if that makes any difference. Many thanks for the replies.

chris.neeves said:
Just put in 2 gallons and derv, and after 3 goes she started, albeit a bit rough. However 2 new malfunctions have appeared. BAS and ABS which along with ESP failure were last months electrical gremlins. Trouble is i don't trust the car at all now, so off to the garage on tuesday. Battery appears to be strong, but i will put on charge tonight to see if that makes any difference. Many thanks for the replies.

The BAS/ABS/ESP thing is just the system telling you it needs recalibrating, which you do by rotating the steering wheel fully in one direction and then fully in the other. (with engine running) (so then the ESP knows the limits of the steering angle sensor)

All MB's do this when they have their power disconnected

I guess your auto-up windows will need resetting as-well

Cheers
Richard

As far as purging diesel is concerned,my car(E320CDi) ran out of fuel,inspite of the assist saying there was 13 miles in the tank.Got some more and put it in the tank.Casr turned over,but battery starting to show strain.Checked pipe to fuel rack-fuel coming through and re-connected,and then disconnected each pipe from rack to injectors,to clear any air locks.Battery died as I did pipe no 4.As I carry jump leads,it was a matter of waiting for a kind soul,who appeared in the form of a large tractor sprayer.Car started and off I went.I now do not trust the 'miles in the tank' comments on assist,any more.Have also retightened the injector pipe unions to ensure no leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom