Electronic problems in E-class after jump starting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aetanner

I had an unfortunate experience yesterday with my Mercedes E (2007). I live in Belgium and I will go to the dealer on Monday, but I am writing to see if I can get some reassurance.

I had not used my car for five months and the battery had died, to the extent that the doors would not open with the electronic key. Yesterday I tried to jump start it with the help of a friend. We connected a full battery to the Mercedes' battery in the trunk, and on the second try the engine started. COMMAND came on and I shut it off because annoying noise was coming from the loudspeakers since I guess the preset radio stations were all erased. When I started driving the side mirrors did not open automatically, but I did not think much of it.

Then, the story got worse. I was dropping my friend off, so after five minutes of starting the car we parked, and I mistakenly turned the engine off. I tried but the car would not start. So we tried to jump start it again. However, this time something bad happened: my friend connected the cables to the wrong terminal on the separate battery and when he touched with the cable to the battery of the Mercedes sparks came out. He immediately pulled back the cable and did the connection properly. I turned the key and the car started.

However, the car gave two error messages: Firstly, that the car cannot read the tyre pressure, and secondly there is no navigation / audio. I pressed the 'ON' button on COMMAND but it would not come on.

I drove around for a few hours so that the battery would charge a bit. When I turned the engine on and off, the window behind the steering wheel still said it cannot read the tyre pressure and also something like "Navigation: Please wait". COMMAND still did not come on. And the car says the next service is due in 24000 km, which is absurd.

So, either these problems are due to the battery remaining dead for so long and there being some software problems, or we caused damage through the momentary wrong connection of the cables. I don't know. But I would be very happy to have your feedback.

You have spiked the electronics.

If you are lucky they can just be reset on STAR

As above, this is the most likely scenario.

Said that, modern cars are sensitive to weak batteries, even when the engine is running and the alternator is providing the current, so firstly are you sure the battery is now fully charged, and then are you sure that it was not damaged by the long discharge period?

You may need a new battery. You can check the voltage yourself, and any car electrician can check the battery condition under load for you.

Also, might be worth trying another battery disconnect/reconnect (after the batery is confirmed to be in good condition and fully charged).

Otherwise... as DM said above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom