Electronic Service Book or Tall Tail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Flock

Car
W204
Hi all, its my first post... but an interesting one i hope?

just about to chop in my W219 for W204 (save the story for another day) at my local main merc dealer.

Anyways this 204... when i asked to the service book the sales man toddled off and came back a few minutes later saying the service book was "electronic only" and that he'll go and get a print out.
Anyway he came back with a print but I just think that happened to be off the merc data base. It was very basic just with the service type and date.

It had had it's first 2 services with merc and it's third one at an "independents" which some how they said they checked but could not prove a record of the service! the 4th was done by them not too long back.

This is a pretty poor electronic book or are they telling me rubbish... my 219 has a paper book but is 3.5 years older than the W204.

Any thoughts?? Was an electronic service book even an option?? Think it may have been but i think i'm leaning towards a tall tail from the main dealer?

Any thoughts??

This is standard for newer Mercs. My W204 has no service section in the manual.

Info is very sketchy on the electronic report (it is listed on every subsequent service print outs), but you should be able to get a more detailled print out (I would think???)

I can believe the electronic service book - just the unimpressive prints looked liked he typed them up in word himself in the two minutes he was gone.

Anyone else know what i should expect??

^ +1 to Nisfan

And obviously their little way of encouraging you to keep using them.

Yes, I was shocked too, but seems standard now.

I can believe the electronic service book - just the unimpressive prints looked liked he typed them up in word himself in the two minutes he was gone.

Anyone else know what i should expect??

Yes you can rely on this, you could ask a different dealer to do you a print out I guess. They would need Reg number and VIN, only thing is as you are not the owner. Whether they would oblige? Data protection and all that.

It's the latest ruse to make sure you stick with the main dealer for having your pants down, err, I mean serviced.

^^^ lol :D

Just a question, wouldn't an Indie with STAR not log a service? Is it done with STAR?

To the OP, the fact that it was serviced independantly would mean Mobilo is no longer in place. (The free Mercedes emergency call out)

SPX said:
It's the latest ruse to make sure you stick with the main dealer for having your pants down, err, I mean serviced.

I would never service my pants anywhere else.

^^^ lol :D

Just a question, wouldn't an Indie with STAR not log a service? Is it done with STAR?

The ECU clocks every service interval in KM, which is part of the reason you can always find the genuine mileage using Star.

Has your car thieves dream, err I mean BMW, arrived yet? :D

ok so what im getting is that nothing unusual but the indie possibly didn't happen? That was my gut feeling anyway.
And when merc service your pants...wheres the diagnostics port located to reset the abuse meter?

How are you going to give proof of service history?. Will you trust someone with a service history printout ? Well I would not unless you can go to a website to confirm it.

Just like your MOT PINTOUT but these can be confirmed on the MOT website.

Are Mercedes setting up a website for this? If yes , than I am for it as there will be less chance of fraud and MB can police it(LOL).

The ECU clocks every service interval in KM, which is part of the reason you can always find the genuine mileage using Star.

Has your car thieves dream, err I mean BMW, arrived yet? :D

Is this even when using a hand held OBD port service reset tool off ebay? :D

I am thinking of buying used, apparently you can get some really nice cars for cheap, just need a new drivers window :bannana:....but no not yet ;)

Don't you reset the service Indicator yourself on the instrument cluster on an mb?

I travelled more than 225 miles to view a 6 year old ML63 AMG at a main dealer, which had FMBSH, 2 owners, and super low mileage at 23,000 miles - I called to verify and triple check before I set off.

Except when I got there it had just services at Mercedes on the electronic system, 6 owners on the log book, and the mileometer displayed the mileage suggested on the approved used website, but almost 20,000 miles were done in the first 18 months.

Salesman said it's history had been checked, there's a digital service record (albet with just two services) and it's an approved used Mercedes so it must be perfect for them to sell it.

We had dinner, and drove 225 miles home. It just didn't stack up and the digital service history masked things even more. Someone else bought it 2 days later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom