Electronic service record - are all repairs recorded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
Hi folks,

My CLS is due a service soon and I'm wondering how I can determine if the ATF was changed.

Long story but when I bought the car at 40k miles it hadn't been done. When the car was in for a warranty repair a couple of months later I asked if they would do it (any service items needed in the first 3 months of ownership are covered on approved used).

They said they would do it but the service guy was absent when I collected the car and they ignored my email/phone request to provide an invoice stating the work done. Later it transpired that the warranty repair hadn't been done and the EML was just reset :doh:

So if I go to any MB dealer will they have a record of the ATF change if it was recorded at the time? Seems wasteful to spend £200 or whatever if it has actually been done as they said, but I'm not 100% confident that it was done.

It would be evident from the colour of the fluid (as only done a couple of thousand miles since) but it isn't possible to dip these boxes as there is only a drain plug.

An ATF change should be recorded. Are you friendly with another dealer, as they should be able to check for you?

Failing that, then a call to MB UK should get an answer, and might even see the ATF done for you, if it hasn't been done. The dealer will have difficulty explaining to MB UK if they say the work was done but the service record was not updated.

As Bobby said get another dealer to check for you,when i was looking at getting an ml earlier in the year i phoned another mb dealer that had serviced a car i was viewing at a different mb dealership-they we're very helpful & gave me all the info i needed.....

Thanks guys.

According to the dealer I just spoke to (the one I planned to use for servicing), not all MB dealer groups systems are integrated and they are unable to access the dealer groups system from where I purchased the car to determine what work has been carried out. Unless I can provide them with proof that the ATF has been changed already they are reluctant to carry out a service without doing the ATF (£300 extra).

Given there is no service book to stamp and the service records aren't universally accessible across all dealers it begs the question how one is supposed to have a FMBSH, unless it purely relies on the customer keeping all of their invoices?!

Can you request a service book that gets stamped like the old fashioned days?

On the older 5 gear autoboxes there's room for a dipstick in the engine bay (though the actual dipstick is not provided) that the dealer can use to check the ATF level (and colour). The cost is only £2-£3 for the seal pin that needs to be renewed (though some don't bother with a new seal pin). Does your gearbox not have that?

I would challenge the supplying aproved used dealer to supply evidence of the atf service being done as it was due at 4 years/37k miles as if not done it would not meet aproved used criteria?

On the older 5 gear autoboxes there's room for a dipstick in the engine bay (though the actual dipstick is not provided) that the dealer can use to check the ATF level (and colour). The cost is only £2-£3 for the seal pin that needs to be renewed (though some don't bother with a new seal pin). Does your gearbox not have that?

That was my first thought - ATF after a couple of thousand miles would probably still have it's red colour and be noticeably different to if it was original having covered 45k. The only access on the 7G though is the drain plug (this is also where the fluid is filled apparently) - there is no dip tube.

I would challenge the supplying aproved used dealer to supply evidence of the atf service being done as it was due at 4 years/37k miles as if not done it would not meet aproved used criteria?

Exactly - good point, it should have been done at the 39k ish service the car had at 4 years old, 6 months before I bought it. I may have to resort to stating just this point that the car doesn't have FMBSH without. However in all likelihood this will involve going through MBUK again and take weeks. I guess I can just have the normal service done in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom