Elegance & Avantgarde Setups Tec Help Req

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexinessex

Car
200 CLK
Hi all,

Have read lots about the differences between Elegance and Avantgarde models but wonder if anyone has any technical advice please.

I have been looking for a 320 CLK CDI (209) and have now found a nice 07 model.

Its all singing and dancing with extras including sunroof, leather interior, SatNav, the list goes on... However its an Elegance not Avantgarde so realise the way the car is set up is different to the Avantgarde.

I have no idea if the suspension, shocks etc are the same on both cars and if its just a matter of tweaks here and there and maybe even new wheels?

I prefer the ride on the Avantgarde and wonder if it is possible and fairly simple and not too costly to make modifications to the Elegance model if I buy it so it rides the same as an Avantgarde?

Many thanks for you help and advise

Im not sure about the CLK but on the E the spings are shorter on the Avantgarde , and the shocks are shorter , but the front shocks can be adjusted . Theres a coller where the spring rests on the shock , this can be moved up and down th change the lenght of the shock .

The elegance is softer, the AG a little firmer as the springs are shorter/stiffer

As above but why not drive both to see which one suits?(i like the avantgarde best-a good compromise between not too hard or soft however sport versions are too hard especially on large rims imho).

There are a few sutle diffs between the two and an easy mod for suspension lowering
on the elegance model

The first thing you would need to do is ditch the god awful trim that is in the elegance and put in some nice birds eye maple from the avantgarde.

The other thing you will miss out on is the blue tint on the windows which is spectacular with grey leather.

Id wait for the AG :)

The first thing you would need to do is ditch the god awful trim that is in the elegance and put in some nice birds eye maple from the avantgarde.

The other thing you will miss out on is the blue tint on the windows which is spectacular with grey leather.

Id wait for the AG :)

Yes I love windows blue tint on avantgarde. But if I'm not wrong latest Mercedes no longer have this feature.:(

Hi.. It has the Maple trim, all be it I like the metal look of the Avantgarde, it does have full black leather too which I like... not keen on the grey... In fact apart from the fact its not Avantgarde with the firmer ride it has the most extras I have seen on a clk... and I have been looking at heaps over the past couple of months... All be it Im still not decided if I like the sunroof on them as you see the glass on the outside and it kinda looks too small for the car. Guess there was not enough room for them to add a metal sunroof so it blended with the car roof more?

If you want an avantgarde wait for one to come along. Personally I think it looks much better regardless of how it rides. Might be a little bit biased as ours is avantagrde spec. Sunroof was a pretty rare option I think and it does reduce the headroom fractionally.

If you intend in the future to put some 18" alloys on, go for the Elegance, I had an AG estate with 18" AMG alloys and the ride was a little too firm for me, I would imagine the slightly higher and softer suspension od the Elegance would be better.

I have an Elegance and I added 18" wheels,it drastically changed the ride.

If you're after comfort then no,a lot more bumps are felt.For me it's not a problem,I've driven with rock hard coilovers for years.If you're not used to it though the loss of comfort could annoy you.I don't think it's so much the size of the wheel but more the profile of the tyres, I think 40 or 45 at the front and 35 at the back.Although I think 16" or even 17" would ride a lot better, I have to confess I'm a sucker for a set of nice wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom