Eleven SR-71 Blackbirds (Huge image)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Just came across this image, I had to share it: :bannana:

4256659363_abec6b003e_o.jpg

Note all the oil on the Tarmack :D

Also, de-classified training manual HERE

I didn't actually think there were that many still intact and airworthy.

Is it a recent pic do you know?

Not sure, but judging by the cars in the background, id say early 90s...

Last edited:
lol, didn't even see the cars...

re the leaks, apparently they were known to leak everywhere, apparently they had to leak cold, to allow for the thermal expansion at high mach when everything fitted as it should.

The leaks are fuel from what i remember.

From the Wikipedia article:

'The highly specialized tooling used in manufacturing the SR-71 was ordered to be destroyed in 1968 by then-Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara, per contractual obligations at the end of production'

Maybe MB fitted their Aircon to the SR-71 and it's just the drains !

What would they be used for, no room for bombs

As stated above - reconnaissance..

In their key operating years they flew so fast a ruski missile launches even at mach 5 ran out of duration as the SR-71 wafted onwards :D

Or maybe they were just manufactured by Norton or BSA:D

Shirley you mean Norton or Triumph.

All my pre-unit BSA's were oil tight*

*(until some tit over tightened the oil tank retaining bolt)

They have been in and out of commission many times over the years, latest I heard they were not going to be scrapped but kept in, or very close to, operational state. Extensive use of titanium and were repaired with titanium tools to prevent contamination with different metal. They needed refuelling in flight very regularly and from what I understand were fitted with the most powerful jet engine of all time.

Almost as nice as Concord and obviously from the same era........

Cracking shot Killer - Thank you!

Here is another favourite.....

Last edited:
Used to fly regularly out of Fairford, you could set your clocks by them, 8am every morning! Engineers had special tools, all titanium, to work on them.

There is an SR71 in the American Air Museum building in Duxford. Also got a B52.

Well worth a visit.

Not only did they p155 out fuel everywhere, but IIRC the fuel itself was a very exotic cocktail developed specifically (and exclusively) for the J58 motor. So it would have needed its own dedicated tanker force, just to add to the already-dizzying expense of operation...

Not only did they p155 out fuel everywhere, but IIRC the fuel itself was a very exotic cocktail developed specifically (and exclusively) for the J58 motor. So it would have needed its own dedicated tanker force, just to add to the already-dizzying expense of operation...

Didn't they have to take-off with minimum fuel aboard due to the weight bending the wings too much. They would then fill the tanks from an air to air transfer. Or is that another plane I'm thinking of?

Come to think of it, I'm probably thinking of the U-2 spy plane.:doh:

Didn't they have to take-off with minimum fuel aboard due to the weight bending the wings too much. They would then fill the tanks from an air to air transfer. Or is that another plane I'm thinking of?

Come to think of it, I'm probably thinking of the U-2 spy plane.:doh:

Not sure that weight of fuel is the issue - just watch a B52 taking off, the first things that 'fly' are the wings, followed by the the rest of the aircraft. :)

The issue with the SR71 was the fact that it did leak - a lot - so once airborne and just prior to high speed flight, it would be refueled. The heat generated through friction would quickly seal the joints through expansion.

The U2 wing span was more about the height it needed to operate at to avoid being shot down - whereas the SR71 was designed more for stealth and speed.

Derivatives of the U2 still operate today - occasionally from RAF Mildenhall in Norfolk. And although denied by the US, SR71s can still be seen at operational bases via GoogleEarth - but then again they also deny the existance of certain hangers at RAF Fairford :D

And then of course there's Aurora ...................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom