'Elf and Safety.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Being a nuisance, I would have asked them to show me their risk assessment detailing the risk and the decision which shows that being requested to not do that task is an appropriate control measure.

And then I would ask how they identified the hazard, and when did they do that work. And I guess I would want to know when they reviewed it.

Do you honestly believe that the guy who approached the OP was the guy that implemented the policy? Or do you mean by 'them' you'd stride up the stairs and find the level of management that did? (saving some poor powerless guy only doing what he is told being subjected to your inquisition).
Clearly, pursuing either marks you out as someone who has the luxury of time on your hands - not a predicament the average van driver collecting goods will find themselves in. They just need to collect the goods and get on with their day's work. Most will do just that - and appreciate that at least some concern for their well-being is being exercised.

Being a nuisance, I would have asked them to show me their risk assessment detailing the risk and the decision which shows that being requested to not do that task is an appropriate control measure.

And then I would ask how they identified the hazard, and when did they do that work. And I guess I would want to know when they reviewed it.

And at some point during that discussion I might just offer some advice over how to ensure a workable and appropriate Safety Management System ought to be put in place.

I have just completed a 54 risk, risk register to show our Aviation Regulator.

If anyone of the people who asked the OP to step down wants some advice on assessing risk, feel free to tell them to pop round. Weather is nice here.

Of course, your dynamic risk assessment conducted at the time would have assured you that the bed of the pick up is perfectly acceptable to stand on as a platform and the desired goal of ensuring the wood is better placed over the cab rather than sticking out the back is considering other persons safety.

Working at height might suggest some form of restraint to prevent the falling....however, this has to based on the work needs of why you are required to be at height. It cannot be taken in isolation.

The post which mentions current safety advisors who have only been in safety make my life so difficult most of the time....luckily they report upwards to me.....so I can offer them help, or help out of the office.....

The issue which is occurring in these establishments is not reasonable. And that's the part they seem to miss most of the time.

As low as reasonably practical. It would not be unreasonable to get up onto the back of a pick up to tie wood down.

It would be unreasonable to use the back of the pick up to gain height to off load something from a first floor door or window etc etc.

As has been said before, it is not the rules themselves, it is the inappropriate use of them.

I think the insurance view is a red herring.

Others may disagree.......fine.

Surely company policy is that! But as i see it you are free to purchase your goods elsewhere!
In my quarry company policy regarding sheeting loads is...any vehicle over 3.5t GVW must have auto sheeting...if you can not or do not have this you do not get loaded! no arguments at all!

Tony.

Surely company policy is that! But as i see it you are free to purchase your goods elsewhere!
In my quarry company policy regarding sheeting loads is...any vehicle over 3.5t GVW must have auto sheeting...if you can not or do not have this you do not get loaded! no arguments at all!

Tony.

Absolutely! I will certainly be taking this into consideration next time I have a timber purchase to make.

Fortunately the timber yard I use for hard woods don't seem to mind me using my pickup bed when strapping a load, so long as I'm wearing a high-vis jacket/vest

Absolutely! I will certainly be taking this into consideration next time I have a timber purchase to make.

Fortunately the timber yard I use for hard woods don't seem to mind me using my pickup bed when strapping a load, so long as I'm wearing a high-vis jacket/vest

Now PPE is a different ball game all together! While i would let you tie down your timber from your truck bed you would have to be wearing safety boots hi vi and a hard hat......:thumb:

Tony.

Deleted - pic wouldn't show on MB Club

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom