Elvis -the comeback special BBC2 now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Elvis -the comeback special BBC2 now AT 9.30PM If you want a hint of dynamic performer he was--- this is it. Forget the White rhinestone jump suit Vegas concerts this is the real thing.

It always makes me smile when "Elvis" programmes nearly always conveniently forget quite a few of his hits were cover versions of other peoples songs.
Still a great entertainer, but some credit must be given to the original artists.

Good point VTD. Elvis was first and foremost an interpreter of existing material. Some say his initial success was based on the fact he was a white boy singing black music on the radio and on record. :eek: He was an "acceptable" face to the white commercial radio stations and their advertising partners.:) As such he was perhaps unwittingly a pivotal figure in the introduction of a black music influence into the white pop music of the day. His influence on the British Popular music scene is well evidenced with artists like Marty Wilde,Billy Fury and Cliff Richard who copied much of his stage presentation.;) Like Elvis they had much of their material written or chosen for them by their managers or recording studio label. It was only with the Beatles, Rolling Stones etc that the essential skill of "writing your own songs" was to develop.:cool: Even these icons of the 60's pop explosion started off on cover versions of American black artists. But the first guy "over the top" so to speak was Elvis and as such has a unique place in popular music.:thumb:

Elvis covered a lot of songs because his manager, "Col" Tom Parker, didn't want to lose any control by introducing Elvis to any really good songwriters.

The colonel also owned the rights to a load of cheapo songs and he got Elvis to sing a lot of those - the colonel made more money that way.

The colonel also refused to let Elvis tour Europe. The real reason was that the col himself was an illegal immigrant to the US and was worried he'd be barrred on re-entry.

No doubt all the crappy films were the col's idea too.

The five year resodency in Vegas definitely was - as it was commercially better for the col.....

So a very sad story really. I saw that programme and was amazed how good Elvis was when he was singing with that band. And how awful he was when he switched to ballads. What a waste of a great talent.

No doubt all the crappy films were the col's idea too.

Yep - he realised that cinema was the way to get his boy into the public eye at that time... bit like music videos today.

Didn't realise he did so many - someone told me it was over 30!! I'm proud to say that I've never seen one...

Yep - he realised that cinema was the way to get his boy into the public eye at that time... bit like music videos today.

Didn't realise he did so many - someone told me it was over 30!! I'm proud to say that I've never seen one...

Here's the filmography Elvis Presley filmography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At peak they were rolling out 3 movies a year!:eek: Unfortunately it was the only way many of his fans round the world would ever see him perform.:(

Did he ever ACTUALLY set foot on British soil?
Opinions vary. Some reports say he stopped off for a brief time while flying between the USA and Germany.
Tommy Steele reckons he visited England and some say both reports are wrong and that Elvis never got off the plane.
I know it doesn't really matter right now, but it would be nice to know for sure either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom