EM Light After Flat Battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teflonso

Car
E350 Estate (W212 Facelift)
Hopefully just a quick and easy to sort problem ............

My E350 had an almost dead battery this morning after being garaged for several weeks out of the bad weather. On the third turn of the key I got it to turn over and start. After a run everything is now fine, it still goes like stink, the battery is holding charge, no other problems. Eco mode isn't available yet but I assume it will reappear once the auxilliary battery is topped up too.

However the orange Engine Management Light is now permanently illumintated. The only other time it has happened was the same scenario the day before it was due for service and the dealer turned it off as part of the job.

How do I reset it without another trip to the dealer and an hour's worth of wasted diagnostic time being charged?

Cheers.

It may go off after three drive cycles, most probably caused by a voltage drop. Modern day electronics don't like low voltages, my Jag used to go mental with low voltage, no fuel gauge, oil warning light on, indicators flashing at twice normal speed, no cruise control. Get a full charge in the battery and then do disconnect for an hour.

+1

I had the engine light on too (but not because of the battery), it turned off after a few days.

Thanks chaps. After several good runs the light has disaapeared and Eco mode is back as normal.

If having the car off the road for extended periods is a regular occurance i'd suggest you invest in a Ctek charger. Fit the supplied battery fly leads and connecting the charger is simple, no faffing with crocodile clips. If the car is in a garage with power leave connected whilst the car is in storage. if that's not possible use to bring the charge back to 100% before you even put key in ignition.

Ctek are popular with occasional drive cars Ferrari, Lambo and such as well as the vettern/vintage mob. can be left connected more or less permanently without overcharging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom