Email online banking scam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam1

Car
E220CDI avantgarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather .Honda Civic, Honda Stream SESport( 160bhp
Just had an email from barclays stating that my online banking account will be terminated if i do not login to the account. It then provides a link...which gives identical page to genuine barclays page.

Some people sign up for online banking but never login...so this email is designed to catch them out....it even states terms conditions of online banking with ref to logins. Very clever the way its wrriten.....this is second email..first was from lloydstsb which i have online but never logged in.

Anyone receive such emails......recently.

Copied
Dear Custumer,

We regret to inform you that your Natwest online account is about to expire. In order to keep it active, and to resolve this problem please click here .If your problem could not be resolved, your account will be suspended for a period of 3-4 days, after this period your account will be terminated.

For the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

After the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using Natwest in any way. This includes the registering of a new account. Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to Natwest.

Regards, IT Department Natwest, Inc

The Natwest Team.

another
Important Notice: Jul. 17, 2005

Dear Customer,

We regret to inform you that your Barclays Bank PLC online account is about to expire. In order to keep it active, and to resolve this problem please click here .If your problem could not be resolved, your account will be suspended for a period of 3-4 days, after this period your account will be terminated.

For the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

After the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using Barclays Bank PLC in any way. This includes the registering of a new account. Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to Barclays Bank PLC.

J. S. Smith
IT Department Barclays Bank PLC.
The Barclays Bank PLC Team.

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.
For assistance, log in to your Barclays Online Bank account and choose the "Help" link on any page.

Barclays Email ID # 1009

Download this as a file | Display External Images

Last edited:
Lots of these going round.

You will notice that the whole email is a link, as opposed to the http://XXXX bit, as it is infact an image in a HTML page.

I've had the same email asking me to confirm my login details, DOB, PIN etc from about 5 different banks, none of whom I bank with. A lot of them go to the same IP address though (219.83.53.51) which is worth blocking.

a mate of mine raised an interesting point about this -- isnt it in the banks interest to buy all the possible combinations of the URL - like i had one from "lloydstsb.uk.com" - if llods bought all these possible combinations (at a tenner or whatever each) it would save a) the customer lots of dosh and b) them lots of dosh in fraud claims...

surely?

guydewdney said:
a mate of mine raised an interesting point about this -- isnt it in the banks interest to buy all the possible combinations of the URL - like i had one from "lloydstsb.uk.com" - if llods bought all these possible combinations (at a tenner or whatever each) it would save a) the customer lots of dosh and b) them lots of dosh in fraud claims...

surely?

the url can be anything and it would still appear genuine in the email link.... they prey on the computer-illiterate, who will just click the link and enter the details.

They are getting so tricky with the scams:crazy:. Ive seen other things in the news like this as well! Have you seen the bbc article about the Nigerian scammers? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3887493.stm It is just getting ridiculous. I just don't open any emails that don't come from friends, family, or colleagues. For my bank I deleted my online account because one of my friends had 10000p taken from her through a 'phishing' scam. If you don't know what im talking bout there is an article bout that stuff here... http://uk.moneto.eu/investment/current-accounts/fraud-protection/internet-security/
Maybe Im totally over reacting, but I have worked hard to get the money I have and I don't want it going anywhere! Except I don't really trust banks as much either because of all the reclaimed fees and stuff I have been seeing in the news. At least people are getting their money back but still it is a bit ridiculous.
Rock on :rock:
and thanks for the HEADS UP! :)

If these were true - then I have a bank account with every single high street bank going lol :D :D

I get these from every bank apart from the one I actually bank with.

Just delete it without opening and place in 'junk' and set up a filter, and change your email address, and a new mail handler and turn your computer off permanently.

Then you will be safe.

I get many of these every day. (I do have 12 or so e-mail addresses.) Here's some advice.

Never click through to any account from an e-mail: open your browser and go to the account log in page in the usual way instead.

If you bank on-line, be very careful. Make sure your password can't be guessed. Use a strong password like: j6Y;sK4Q and avoid anything that's in any dictionary or encyclopaedia, or personal to you (even if you add a few numbers to the end).

Use a different password for each on-line account. (You should also use a different PIN for each credit or debit card.)

Debit cards are much less safe than credit cards, so always use credit cards when buying on-line. Lots of smaller on-line stores have poor security and can easily be hacked, which means your card details (including the Security Number) could be stolen.

Otherwise, everything's fine.:rolleyes:

Edit: I also recommend installing Key Scrambler Personal -- it's free!

Last edited:
Generally these email scams are addressed to Dear customer of Banana Bank or similar.....these are easy to spot.

A genuine one will have your name. That's name, not just email address...

If in doubt, type in the correct URL (or use your favourites) for your online banking. Never click on the supplied link.

Also worth remembering that whilst an online password generally has a minimum number of characters their often is not a maximum.
Whilst Marque's suggestion is good, a password like he suggests is difficult to remember. If you were to use "My name is William and my car is a 2007 Mercedes!!" as a password, (upper and lower case, numbers, symbols) you would find it easy to remember, as well as meeting both the minimum characters and complexity requirements.

(I also give this advice when suggesting complex passwords for Users).

I have regular e-mails supposedly from NatWest asking me to confirm my online banking details. As it happens I do have an online NatWest account.
The first of these emails arrived before I set up the online banking so I was immediately suspicious.
I phoned NatWest, thinking that they may want the details forwarding to them. They couldn't have been less interested and said I should delete any suspicious e-mails.
How is the average customer to know which ones are suspicious? It is easy to see how these scams are successful.

How is the average customer to know which ones are suspicious? It is easy to see how these scams are successful.

Start with the above......!!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom