Emails after changing BB supplier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

This may be a silly question but i will ask anyhow.

We initially had Rapidial as a broadband supplier (i think) anyway we have a broadband email address

Then we had Orange (Wanadoo) as a bb supplier so have a wanadoo address to.

Now we have sky as a bb supplier and want to be able to send and recieve both our Rapidial and Wanadoo and possibly our Talk21 emails using Windows Live Mail.

I have managed to set up WLM to recieve the Rapidial but it will not send. Talk21 seems to be only webmail based and the POP£/SMTP has me stumped with Wanadoo.

Once you change BB supplier that you had an email address with do you lose the ability to send??

Might be a silly question to some but i am beat:wallbash:

Help please

Me too...so I use Google Mail, and then the BB supplier doesn't matter.

Once you change BB supplier that you had an email address with do you lose the ability to send??

Yes - with most ISPs you do

This is because they block port 25 (used for SMTP mail sending) to traffic not accessing their servers via their network

The answer is to send your email through your current ISP by authenticating to their SMTP server as your new address but sending mail "from" the other address. You'll have to do a bit of research on how to do this

Bad idea anyway - the old email addresses will be killed off at some point so kill them off now and move to the new adddress

Better still, register a domain name and keep your email addresses for life

Nick Froome
Peripheral Vision

I changed from Wanadoo to BT as my BB supplier a while back but still have my wanadoo email address as my main one - but I use Windows Mail as my email client, it checks my BT and Wanadoo email accounts when I send/receive.

I'd consider setting up a Yahoo or Google or Hotmail-type address.

I set up my Yahoo address in 1996 and so I have never had to mess around setting up Outlook Express, or now Windows Mail.

My email is always available, I cannot host nasties which will pump out spam onto the Internet from my machine and I can access it anytime anywhere in the World.

Changed from AOL to BT - still use AOL address. Infact you can sign up for one without having to use their service.

Think AOL is now TalkTalk....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom