Embarassing Gearbox fault...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pillabenz

Car
2008 c220cdi sport
Hi all, Gearbox on my 2001 c220 cdi has devoloped a fault.

I have been using it in winter mode since i bought it due to 1st gear being a bit grabby when cold, i know this is normal but i prefer 2nd gear take off anyway.

So i pull up next to the lights in the outside lane next to a range rover sport, I know hes going to gun it so i thought i would give him a run for his money.

Whilst watching the red light i think to myself, "I hope the box doesnt stick in 2nd" as its done on occasions.

Low and behold, i make myself look like a right t*t, (still in "W" mode) over rev in 2nd and the box didnt change, car behind me trying to get past, im trying to navigate onto the inside lane with fast moving traffic whilst stuck in 2nd.

Anyway, managed to pull over, restarted and car was fine, got home and changed to "S" mode gave it a bit round where i live and immediately it got stuck in 2nd again, it only happens if i give it some, it does not do it if im easy on the gas, gives nice smooth changes between 1750 and 2000 rpm.

Seems to do it when the box gets upto temp.

Although from 3rd to 4th gear when the box is hot it takes a second or so to make the change :(

From reading threads, I can assume maybe its the speed sensor plate or a low fluid level, I know i need to get the codes read on a star first.

Is there any other advice anyone can give me, only had the car a month.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
It could be the engine mounts worn out.

I can get a similar effect if I absent-mindedly rest my hand on the gearlever and don't notice that I've tipped it to limit it to current gear...

BTW if you floor it from stationary, it should move off in 1st gear regardless of mode.

It could be the engine mounts worn out.

They are fine, I checked them when i replaced the thermostat.

I can get a similar effect if I absent-mindedly rest my hand on the gearlever and don't notice that I've tipped it to limit it to current gear...

BTW if you floor it from stationary, it should move off in 1st gear regardless of mode.

It wasnt me locking it into 2nd, that function works fine, when it locks itself into 2nd though, using that function does nothing, Yes, i gently took off in 2nd then floored it! Goos job, or else it will have stuck in first, even worse scenario.

The Rangey Sport will still have 'had U' gear box working or not! :rolleyes:

The Rangey Sport will still have 'had U' gear box working or not! :rolleyes:

Who knows? I do know im quicker than a ML270 cdi auto with one person in it, Whilst my 220 had 4 people. Twas neck and neck till 70mph then i gained a nose. ;) The box held up on that occasion!

hi pillabenz did you sort out your car and what was the problem

hi pillabenz did you sort out your car and what was the problem

No, I havent bothered yet, just been taking it easy, its been ok.

Needs to be plugged in to find out the exact cause, will do it after Christmas.

Gearbox has developed another fault as of yesterday, seems that the kickdown from 4th gear to 3rd renders the vehicle in neutral, the display still shows "D" - Fairly dangerous, losing drive completely on a dual carriageway.

To solve the issue i needed to pull over and just cycle to "P" then back to "D" -

No need to cycle the ignition for this fault, Its fast becoming a pain, I know i need to get it plugged in and the codes read, can anyone give an educated guess as to what it is ?

Im thinking it is related to the fact the gearbox (when warm) has a lazy change from 3rd to 4th, However 1st to 2nd & 4th to 5th are perfect.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Just plug it in already!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom