embarassing question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark291162

Hello

I am comparatively new to owning a 1994 E220. It had been running great until recently when it has started to prove difficult to start. It also sounds a bit lumpy on tickover so I wan't to inspect the spark plugs and here's the embarassing bit... I can't work out how to get at them.

I know they're under the plug cover plate held down by at least two visible hex bolts on the top of the engine.
The problem is the plastic air filter cross pipe that is on top of the plate which won't come free even when the two bolts are removed and both ends of the air filter pipes disconnected. I'm guessing that there is another hex bolt under the cross pipe but how is the cross pipe fastened to the cover plate - no visible means of connection??
If it's clipped on I could try brute force and ignorance and attempt to prise it off with a screwdriver but I'm afraid of breaking something - anyone out there with the answer??

BTW - There isn't a Haynes manual in print for this year and model and so I have a manual from Technibooks but this is pretty rubbish - poor drawings and lots of typos. Very vague on how to take the air filter assembly apart - any better books to anyone's knowledge?

Regards

Mark

The plastic piece slides to the left when you look at it from the front of the engine. There are three bolts holding down the plug cover, the third is under the plastic tube.

Thanks

Many thanks Ian - thought it'd be something like that. Lucky I asked before assaulting it with a screwdriver...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom