Emergency generator - would this work??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I really wouldn't follow advice you have found on the internet when it comes to domestic electrical wiring. You are not playing around with 12v car electrics, you are playing around with 240v mains electrics. And from a generator this could be around 3kw, which is enough to cause a fire and kill you (sorry to be so straight to the point, but that is how it is).

Despite the comments from others on here, please do not try and back feed a circuit. This is very dangerous.

The best advice will come from a qualified electrician. I would not accept any less than someone who is NICEIC registered.

In answer to your original question, a 2700w generator should cope fine with an American fridge freezer, however, to reduce possible excess strain, keep the temperatures as close to ambient as possible, ie, fridge on the warmest setting and freezer on the warmest setting. However again, please consult an electrician.

Ideally you should have some lighting on the backup supply, otherwise its pretty useless. If you're really keen to do it properly, then you can fit a changeover switch on your incoming supply, however you'd be well advised to also wire it to limit the possible current, eg no cooker, shower, etc on the circuits. This starts getting complicated!

I would not accept any less than someone who is NICEIC registered.

In answer to your original question, a 2700w generator should cope fine with an American fridge freezer, however, to reduce possible excess strain, keep the temperatures as close to ambient as possible, ie, fridge on the warmest setting and freezer on the warmest setting. However again, please consult an electrician.

Even Mrs Dm can set the fridge temperature, does she really need to consult a NICEIC electrician?

does she need a cattle prod to do it?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom