'emergency' phone sim?

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
I want a 'spare' or 'emergency' phone that I can give to someone who might be taking my 2 yr old out for a walk (or whatever) who either doesnt have a phone, inst charged, or has run out of credit (typical teenage babysitter... :rolleyes: )

cant seem to find a package thats:-
low or nil monthly charge
everlasting (ish)
can have stupidly high call charges if necessary

have a contract with voda (and oodles of shares in - so why I stick with voda) if it makes any difference

any pointers?

andy27168

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
You could get a SIM only contract with Vodaphone which I pay £10ish a month, and I get 200 minutes and unlimited txts IIRC, I have the sim in my old HTC phone.
Worth considering?

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Get a PAYG sim, stick £20 on it, send a text or make a call once every 6 months and it will remain active and cost next to nothing.

Get an old Nokia, solid and hold their battery power for days if not used.

George Douglas

Car
2004 E320 cdi estate , 2003 triumph speedmaster & Good old suzuki gs750
Get a PAYG sim, stick £20 on it, send a text or make a call once every 6 months and it will remain active and cost next to nothing.

Get an old Nokia, solid and hold their battery power for days if not used.
Spot on , we have a payg in both glove boxes with £10 credit on just for emergencies . I do a call to home every few months just to keep them active .

artyman

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C 200 CDI Sport
I tried an old phone a while back and the number had been disconnected as I hadn't used it for a couple of years, not sure what the minimum timescale would need to be to ensure it remained active. Any old cheap phone would do.

baxlin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo C70 and JZR 3 wheeler
Spot on , we have a payg in both glove boxes with £10 credit on just for emergencies . I do a call to home every few months just to keep them active .
X2 with this, must check mine's still active though, it's a while since I used it.

OP
OP
guydewdney

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
Just read vodas t&c, and, yes, its 180 days and it gets disconnected, or you can get it back if you call them within 90 days of that

Have a tiny tiny samsung flip phone, literally 1" square x 3" long that i think i will use.

Thanks.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian, A207 E250CDi Cabriolet Sport, R171 SLK280
Have a look at this site
You can sometimes pick up an out of fashion phone for next to nothing on a contract

Meldrew2

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mine: BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio & BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (sorry, guys)
I would highly recommend PAYG rather than contract... the most you can lose is your £10 top up... while the "typical teenage babysitter" might run you up a big bill on a contract.

I got a free PAYG sim from giffgaff... it even came with £5 free credit...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom