'emergency' phone sim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
I want a 'spare' or 'emergency' phone that I can give to someone who might be taking my 2 yr old out for a walk (or whatever) who either doesnt have a phone, inst charged, or has run out of credit (typical teenage babysitter... :rolleyes: )

cant seem to find a package thats:-
low or nil monthly charge
everlasting (ish)
can have stupidly high call charges if necessary

have a contract with voda (and oodles of shares in - so why I stick with voda) if it makes any difference

any pointers?

You could get a SIM only contract with Vodaphone which I pay £10ish a month, and I get 200 minutes and unlimited txts IIRC, I have the sim in my old HTC phone.
Worth considering?

Get a PAYG sim, stick £20 on it, send a text or make a call once every 6 months and it will remain active and cost next to nothing.

Get an old Nokia, solid and hold their battery power for days if not used.

Get a PAYG sim, stick £20 on it, send a text or make a call once every 6 months and it will remain active and cost next to nothing.

Get an old Nokia, solid and hold their battery power for days if not used.

Spot on , we have a payg in both glove boxes with £10 credit on just for emergencies . I do a call to home every few months just to keep them active .

I tried an old phone a while back and the number had been disconnected as I hadn't used it for a couple of years, not sure what the minimum timescale would need to be to ensure it remained active. Any old cheap phone would do.

Really? Every 6 months?

Yep, sims that are inactive for 180 days are most likely deactivated and any credit can be lost.

Spot on , we have a payg in both glove boxes with £10 credit on just for emergencies . I do a call to home every few months just to keep them active .

X2 with this, must check mine's still active though, it's a while since I used it.

Just read vodas t&c, and, yes, its 180 days and it gets disconnected, or you can get it back if you call them within 90 days of that

Have a tiny tiny samsung flip phone, literally 1" square x 3" long that i think i will use.

Thanks.

Have a look at this site
You can sometimes pick up an out of fashion phone for next to nothing on a contract

I would highly recommend PAYG rather than contract... the most you can lose is your £10 top up... while the "typical teenage babysitter" might run you up a big bill on a contract.

I got a free PAYG sim from giffgaff... it even came with £5 free credit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom