Emissions settlement in US

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
UK owners will struggle to get anything worthwhile IMHO. Daimler coughed up in the USA because it realised the fed's were taking no prisoners (or would be taking prisoners) after what happened to VW.

The Trump administration basically threatened to throw VW out of the USA...including Porsche on top of the +/- $4B they paid out in compensation.

This is an old thread revival , but the issue is still out there for all manufacturers who fitted cheat software/devices to their cars that were then sold fraudulently to unsuspecting buyers worldwide.

What must be remembered is that the VW issue in the USA got the FBI involved, nobody want's them on their tail.

Search the 'Dirty Money' series on Netflix and watch the VW edition.

Yes
I call them the 800 lb Gubbermint Gorillas .
And yes Trump was very anti Euro brand cars.
MB in particular was often mentioned in press conferences (and to "Senora" Merkle directly) , that it was his intention to see the end of German cars on US roads. In spite of the fact that MB (in this case) with BMW have PKD & CKD operations in the US employing thousands of US workers. Many of these built up products are re-exported .
And yes, VW today, has a much subdued presence in the US High St these days. The debacle has killed off the VW enthusiasm with the US public.

One distinct lawful difference between the UK & the US is the fact that its unlawful for professional shops/traders to offer and execute re-maps. (called tuning in the US) . Each violation can cost up to $10,000 in fines .

Stating it was for a for "off road use only" was an exculpatory clause that cut it for a short while, but the Gorillas stamped on that, when diesel pollution equipment elimination for diesel car, pick ups & van activity became widespread . Again proving that popular statement that " pigs will be fed but hogs will be slaughtered."!

A shop near me openly offering BullyDog remaps etc, got clobbered with a big $350,000 fine for openly doing such activities with Cummins /Ford GMC pick up trucks They had to sell one of their thriving businesses to pay the Feds & satisfy the man wearing the black robe (no white wig) and gavel in his hand.

Personally, I doubt the UK Gubbermint has anything of the same economic clout with auto manufactures.
They would simply & collectively tell Downing St to get stuffed !
Tuercas Viejas

No trade war nor sex were are British:-
Trump at G7: Who's who in Merkel's photo? 👿

Last edited:
There are numerous UK legal firms raising actions against MERCEDES on behalf of registered clients as we speak. lots of adverts for this on youtube right now. Unfortunately the UK does not have the US CLASS ACTION LEGISLATION that facilitates consumer protection/compensation to the same extent.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There are numerous UK legal firms raising actions against MERCEDES on behalf of registered clients as we speak. lots of adverts for this on youtube right now. Unfortunately the UK does not have the US CLASS ACTION LEGISLATION that facilitates consumer protection/compensation to the same extent.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I hope that anyone signing up to this stuff in the UK reads the T&C's very carefully indeed. No win no fee appears to be something of a misnomer.

I hope that anyone signing up to this stuff in the UK reads the T&C's very carefully indeed. No win no fee appears to be something of a misnomer.

If the case is heard, the ruling goes in favor if MB, and the court awards costs to MB... then MB's legal fees will be shared between the claimants themselves, not their solicitor.

If the case is heard, the ruling goes in favor if MB, and the court awards costs to MB... then MB's legal fees will be shared between the claimants themselves, not their solicitor.
Yes obviously. The no win no fee contracts that people have shown me recently have included the proviso that in the event of a case failing the claimant is liable to what would have been the their solicitor's "success" percentage, but limited to what would have been their normal fee based on hourly rates (one quoted £400 an hour). A double whammy, but not explained to people clearly.

What years were affected in the UK ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom