Employment rights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
Hi all - advice needed

Just been greeted today with the ominous 'bad news' conversation at work.

Started a new job on 17 February with a 3 month probationary period which ended on Monday. Employer not organised enough to have had 'Probation Review' meeting in time, so it was today where the conversation was essentially 'Bad News - ....market conditions not what they were when we took you on, we already have strength in your role etc', with no review of the criteria in the 'Probation review' form.

Conditions of employment state “ Written notice of termination of employment will be 3 months on either side, after successful completion of the probationary period” and the terms were one month either way during probation. I have been offered one month's salary - I suggested that as of Monday my notice terms were 3 months, but was rebutted with reference to 'successful' which in their view it has not been due to market conditions.

I think I have become entitled to 3 months notice - any thoughts?

Thanks

Sean

Hi Sean

Not really what you want to hear but with over thirty years working with employment law (Management level) I can only say that most of it is in favour of employers these days.

To give a probationer one months' notice is generous. Most companies give nothing.

There are no rules saying the review has to be exactly at the three month cut off. A few days here or there would be usual.

Sometimes we just have to take what we can and move on.

I know it's hard but I wish you, as will everyone here, the best of luck in securing your next job.

Paul

Sean
Sorry to hear your news. What's your field? Someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear your news.

Personally I'd seek advice as you are, and keep the conversation with your employer really simple: if it was not successful why was this not made known before the probation period ended?

If you could split the difference between 1 month and 3 months notice, then that might be a good result?

I wish you the best of luck with resolving this, but most importantly working out where the next opportunity lies.

Sean
Sorry to hear your news. What's your field? Someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Construction Industry - Commercial Management. Not the most buoyant industry at the moment....

Construction Industry - Commercial Management. Not the most buoyant industry at the moment....

If you forward me your CV I will show it to the £££ guys on our Project. No promises but you never know.:)

Well - met up today and the company agreed to pay me up to the end of August in lieu of notice.

Happy days - now to get out there and find something else to do..... Wish me luck!!

Well - met up today and the company agreed to pay me up to the end of August in lieu of notice.

Happy days - now to get out there and find something else to do..... Wish me luck!!

Excellent result.

Don't sit back because you have cash on the hip! It won't last long.

Go and get yourself a better job. It'll do wonders for your self esteem which may well have took a bit of a knock.

Best of luck.

Good result, always better to sort things out amicably.

Good luck for the future. :thumb:

Well done that's great... Good luck with the hunt for the new job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom