Enabling Bluetooth in Windows 7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
I have a new Dell laptop that uses Windows 7 (I previously used XP)

Can someone please explain how I enable Bluetooth?

The BIOS has it enabled
There is no short-cut key
I can not see Bluetooth in the Device Manager
I've Googled it and tried most ideas, but still no joy

In XP I found it under the Control Panel, but it's not there in W7.

Yes. The laptop does have Bluetooth as a feature :)

Many thanks.

Last edited:
On mine it seems to be linled to the WiFi button. Turning it on and off always seems to do the job.

On mine it seems to be linled to the WiFi button. Turning it on and off always seems to do the job.

My laptop has no shortage of buttons, but none of them as far as I can see are Bluetooth related

Thanks, I'd read that. I think I need a step earlier to enable the Bluetooth 'radio', if that kind of makes sense?

I remember doing it on my old laptop via the Control Panel.

Oh well, I'm sure Mr Gates will say what I have is progress :)

Not sure about your Dell as you did not specify the model, but on some laptops there's toggle switch on the front or side that switches on and off the WiFi and/or the Bluetooth (saves battery life if WiFi/BT features are not needed).

If this was accidentally pressed at some point of time in the past, then your laptop will have no Bluetooth, and Windows obviously won't detect any Bluetooth either, until you press the switch again. After-which Bluetooth should re-appear in Control Panel...

Hope this helps...

Thanks markjay. My laptop is an Alienware M15x.

There are no buttons or switches than I can see link to Bluetooth.

there are a row of touch-sensitive system controls above the keyboard etched right into the chassis for turning on the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi antennas, and for launching Alienware's lighting control app. We liked the look, but the buttons lacked tactile feedback, and sometimes didn't respond to the first tap.

there are a row of touch-sensitive system controls above the keyboard etched right into the chassis for turning on the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi antennas, and for launching Alienware's lighting control app. We liked the look, but the buttons lacked tactile feedback, and sometimes didn't respond to the first tap.

I 'think' the antena icon is for the wi-fi and not the bluetooth.

I'd read that too :( But I don't have that icon to click in the system tray.

Thanks for your constant help :)

On some PC's the Antenna will switch between Off, Bluetooth, Wifi or Both. I'm beginning to run out of ideas. Have you checked the bios or tried updating the driver?

On some PC's the Antenna will switch between Off, Bluetooth, Wifi or Both. I'm beginning to run out of ideas. Have you checked the bios or tried updating the driver?

I've checked the BIOS and it's enabled.

I downloaded the Dell Bluetooth driver. On installation it prompts to click the icon to enable. The icon doesn't exist, so the installation fails.

A real chicken and egg situation.

In the end I've used my wife's laptop to do what I wanted. But it does bug me I can't use my own properly.

Oh well at least there's beer in the house.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant...

Ahha... there it is:

http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/images/uploads/DSC_0003.JPG

The first green light on the right-hand side of the pink alien head (well it's actually the On/Off button)... do you have the light on this icon switched-on on your laptop?

If it is not on, try pressing it... once Bluetooth is enabled, Windows 7 should recognise it automatically, so once you get this icon to light-up I doubt that you will need to download or install any drivers.

Last edited:
I suspect that I am asking the obvious - but presumably you have tried all the red buttons above the keyboard.

OK, this is from the users manual:

'Using the Wireless Control

The wireless control allows you to quickly turn all of your wireless radios (Bluetooth® and WLAN) off, such as when you are asked to disable all wireless radios on an airplane flight. Gently touching this control one time turns all of your radios off. Gently touching it again returns your wireless radios to their respective states they were in before you touched the control the first time.'

Try tapping the WiFi icon and the top of your keyboard several times - it should rotate between WiFi, Bluetooth, both off etc.

The full manual is here, btw:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/M15x/en/mm/mm_en.zip

Miss-read question, sorry.

Last edited:
OK, this is from the users manual:

'Using the Wireless Control

The wireless control allows you to quickly turn all of your wireless radios (Bluetooth® and WLAN) off, such as when you are asked to disable all wireless radios on an airplane flight. Gently touching this control one time turns all of your radios off. Gently touching it again returns your wireless radios to their respective states they were in before you touched the control the first time.'

Try tapping the WiFi icon and the top of your keyboard several times - it should rotate between WiFi, Bluetooth, both off etc.

The full manual is here, btw:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/M15x/en/mm/mm_en.zip

I tried all the above and still no joy.

"Gently touching it again returns your wireless radios to their respective states they were in before you touched the control the first time."

But if Bluetooth is off in the first place it gives no instructions on how to turn it on.

As it's a new laptop have you considered giving Dell support a call?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom