Enabling Nav in Cluster Display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus GS450h
Having spent last weekend successfully fitting COMAND to my 2001 CLK (write up to follow!), I have now booked the car in at Tony Purslows in Basingstoke for them to enable Navigation display in the speedo display window - where all the trip computer and radio information is. I know this needs the Star diagnostic machine but that's it.

The servicing guy on the phone sounded a bit unsure about this process, so rather than them sat there pondering with the clock ticking at my expense, does anyone know exactly the process they need to do to enable the nav in the display?

Like I said, COMAND itself works perfectly, so it really is just enabling this display.

Thanks in advance wise forum members.

Andy

Sounds like a great event! Unfortunately the better half and I are off to the theatre as a part of my "Operation: Valentine" initiative this weekend, so I won't be able to make it. I'm sure all will have a fun time!

Any more ideas on what the procedure is for enabling Nav?

Last edited:
Rose Chap said:
Having spent last weekend successfully fitting COMAND to my 2001 CLK (write up to follow!), I have now booked the car in at Tony Purslows in Basingstoke for them to enable Navigation display in the speedo display window - where all the trip computer and radio information is. I know this needs the Star diagnostic machine but that's it.

The servicing guy on the phone sounded a bit unsure about this process, so rather than them sat there pondering with the clock ticking at my expense, does anyone know exactly the process they need to do to enable the nav in the display?

Like I said, COMAND itself works perfectly, so it really is just enabling this display.

Thanks in advance wise forum members.

Andy

NAVIGATION = PRESENT

F5 to save.

LOL. A difficult one then!! Well done miro!

Rose Chap said:
Sounds like a great event! Unfortunately the better half and I are off to the theatre as a part of my "Operation: Valentine" initiative this weekend, so I won't be able to make it. I'm sure all will have a fun time!

Uh Oh, completely forgot as usual. :eek: Thanks for the heads-up.

Taken from Richard Almeida's excellent article;

Many Mercedes dealers are not used to detailed configuration of COMAND, here is what the dealer must do (this was done on a W208CLK)

a) Start Star diagnosis, and select the correct vehicle

b) In the Main Groups screen, select “Control Units”

c) In the Control Unit Groups screen, select “Information and Communication”

d) In the “Information and Communication” screen, select “D2B – COMAND or Audio”

e) In the “Cockpit management and data system” screen, first select “Retrofitting of D2B Components”

- run through that process and select YES when it asks whether to actually write the new configuration

f) Return to the screen in (e), and select “Control Unit Adaptations”

g) Select “Read coding and change if necessary”

h) Select “configuration of components (not D2B)”

Enable the following: -

Telephone with enlarged functionality

TV Tuner

Instrument cluster with automatically centering text

Analog BOSE (IF YOU HAVE ANALOGUE BOSE only)

SMS transmissions permitted

And save the changes to the COMAND system

i) Return to the (e) screen, and select Radio parameters

Set the “Tuner ident” to the correct country for you (Europe/Japan/North America/South America)

k) Return to the (e) screen and select “Variant Coding”

set the Model/Series correctly, and the FADER ON if your vehicle has front and rear speakers (most vehicles except the SL).

l) Return to the menu in (c) above, and select “ICM – Instrument cluster”

m) Select “Control Unit adaptations”, then select “Variant Coding”, then select “Optional Equipment”

n) Set “Navigation” to “PRESENT” and save the coding.

On each of the steps (e), (h) -> (k) and (n) Star Diagnosis will ask for the coding to be transferred to the vehicle, which should be done.

Fantastic! Thanks Alfie!

I'll be printing that out and taking it with me. If they charge me any more than one hour's labour I'll be fuming.

Andy,
Congrats on fitting the COMAND yourself. I had Autotechnic fit mine and it looked like a big job. They do this work for lots of the dealers including Greenoaks, so they arranged for Greenoaks Reading to enable the speedo display thro' STAR free of charge which was nice. Took the car in, Greenoaks said "this unit is for a C-Class" - they were correct but it makes no difference from everything I've read since the gyroscope angles are the same in the C and CLK (presumably since the dashboard mounting is the same angle). Anyway, they went on to say "we've fixed it though". What they hadn't done was enable the speedo display which is what I took it in for in the first place. However I don't miss this since I have the huge screen to stare at so don't need another display, so haven't tried to get this re-done.
I had the aux socket fitted into the glove compartment at the same time. Did you do that? And I got an Ipod nano last weekend for it. Since you can't listen to CD's otherwise when using the navigation unless you have a CD changer.
Barry

Last edited:
BarryS said:
What they hadn't done was enable the speedo display which is what I took it in for in the first place. However I don't miss this since I have the huge screen to stare at so don't need another display, so haven't tried to get this re-done.

Barry, what is really useful (I find) is to have the map on the big display and the turn by turn instructions on the centre display

- lets you think ahead slightly on the route and get in the correct lane.

So it is nice to have the center display working

Cheers

Richard

Rose Chap said:
Fantastic! Thanks Alfie!

I'll be printing that out and taking it with me. If they charge me any more than one hour's labour I'll be fuming.

Rose Chap: They should not really charge any more than half an hours labour (0.5). If taking down to a Stealer print the instructions that Alfie provided and say this is how to do it and agree a fixed charge of 0.5hrs which work out around £40/50 (ish).

To be hoenst - with Alfie's instructions it would take no longer than 15mins...

Thanks for kind words Barry! Yes, I fitted an aux-in in the original slot in the glovebox, which my iPod is hooked up to. It works very well and I'm pleased with it.

I definitely want to the arrows in the display enabled for all the reasons Richard says in his post, plus it makes it look totally original.

Flash, I agree it should take no longer than half an hour to code the display, and I will be taking a print out of the instructions with me.

I don't mind them having the car for a while though - it needs a clean like you wouldn't believe!

richard said:
Barry, what is really useful (I find) is to have the map on the big display and the turn by turn instructions on the centre display

- lets you think ahead slightly on the route and get in the correct lane.

So it is nice to have the center display working

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for this - I didn't realise the option to have a diferent display in the speedo existed, that may be helpful sometimes. And yes, getting it looking 100% original was what I had in mind when I first took it to the dealer for STAR coding. I may have another go and also take along Alfie's instructions !

Well, the car is in at the moment. I'll post again after I've picked it up to let to let you all know costs and other pertinent details.

Andy

Rose Chap said:
Well, the car is in at the moment. I'll post again after I've picked it up to let to let you all know costs and other pertinent details.

Dont tell me thats its with our "friends" down at Greenoaks... :eek:

I'm looking forward to having this on my car, I just need the steering wheel and some cables etc now, I already have the instrument cluster :)

Taking a saw to the instrument cluster will be the nail-biting bit, I suppose I could get it all wired up and activated by the stealership and then remove the cluster again for the cosmetic work (saw the front off and swap with the W202 cluster).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom