Encounter with a furry animal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GP801

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK, Volvo XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro EV
Last night in the 124 had the misfortune to hit a furry animal. Never saw it. Doing approx 45mph. Heard a thud and warning light came on. First thought was a major mechanical catastrophe but the car never missed a beat. No strange noises. Realised the warning light was the bulb failure light. Stopped to find smashed n/s headlight, indicator, grille and bumper and lots of fur. No blood. No sign of the animal either. Fortunately no damage at all to body panels, bonnet or car structure.
All parts required are in stock at Milton Keynes but bumper £470 + vat, grille £220 + vat etc!
Still considering whether this should be insurance or not. The thought of increased premiums on 6 cars means that I will probably pay myself.
Still its repairable. No one hurt.

Last edited:
Speak to Nick , he'll have all those bits at a better price.

I might have a spare furry animal at home. Will check tonight and let you know!

The facelift rad grille? I've possibly got a spare.
Yes its a facelift grille. Unfortunately the chrome is bent a little. The plastic bit is under £20. Its the chrome that costs so much. Bodyshop think they may be able to straighten it with a bit of luck.

Sounds from the area damaged it must have been a small deer. Breakers yard for the bumper assembly- you can easily get it resprayed and minor cosmetic damaged repaired for less than a new assembly. You used to be able to purchase just the glass " lens" for the headlight unit but again complete assembly from a breaker might be cheaper. check the radiator core for " shrapnel" damage!

Sounds from the area damaged it must have been a small deer. Breakers yard for the bumper assembly- you can easily get it resprayed and minor cosmetic damaged repaired for less than a new assembly. You used to be able to purchase just the glass " lens" for the headlight unit but again complete assembly from a breaker might be cheaper. check the radiator core for " shrapnel" damage!
Light unit has had it. £100 from eurocarparts or £75 with discount. Not that bad. Bosch indicator £23 from ECP. Before this the car was A1 condition. No rust, fully dinitrolled etc. Not concourse but very good so looking to do this to a high standard . The other limiting factor is we are booked to go back to Italy in 2 weeks. The bodyshop is very good and willing to fit it in at short notice as we are good customers!

Last edited:
Just a quick update. Chrome grille surround salvageable. Outer covering of bumper repairable. Rest of grille and bumper on their way from MB Germany ( via Tony Purslow Guildford as they give the bodyshop a bigger discount than nearest dealer). Lights from Eurocarparts. Work being carried out to get everything ready so that when bumper arrives just paint and fit it. They are confident it will be ready to go to Italy at the end of next week. Heres hoping.

Dam, I have a spare bumper you could have... Howard, was it front or rear?

Another quick update. Bumper arrived at the bodyshop this morning. Considering it was ordered late on tuesday afternoon and had to come from Germany I think thats pretty impressive service.

I knew this was going too smoothly. All finished this afternoon but they went to fit the new grille insert only to find the dealer had sent the pre facelift version. Dealer got the part number wrong by one digit. They have held their hand up and are getting the correct one sent by courier overnight. Hopefully all still good for Italy on friday.

All good. Picked it up at 3.30 this afternoon. Total bill £1007. Labour and paint £290. The rest was parts. Will give it a good clean once I get to Italy and then hopefully put up some pictures. The weather forecast is much the same as here so might not happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom