End of an era

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
He's well liked I gather, which is often a good starting point when negotiating contracts.

Last night official control of the circus that is F1 changed hands. Lack of growth evidently- whatever that means.
F1's lack of growth prompted Liberty to oust Bernie Ecclestone - F1 - Autosport

The old and the new
7edf17f8b07a729e800d52edd776c8b4.jpg

Well, Bernie has made some odd decisions in recent years and he has had a good run.

It was always going to happen at some point; it seems pretty common to replace the person (or people) at the top after a business this large has been acquired.

I read a great article about F1 and the massive drop off in audience figures both TV and live at the gate.

Much of the blame was inevitably laid at Bernie's door (we there is nobody else and he ensured that this was the case).

Rather worryingly Liberty are predicting that this seasons rule changes will actually cause an even bigger procession with less overtaking. They attribute this to Bernie insisting on sticking with (sorry about the pun) Pirelli. Early indications are that their tyres, will not allow the racing that the new aero packages can deliver.

They are also big concerns about the European circuits dropping out due to lack of funding and Bernie dishing out new contracts to "dodgy" countries based purely on money and without the teams involvement.

They state that the current financial system rewards the already rich teams and penalises the poorer teams who are the lifeblood.

There is a desire to "Americanise" the sport. This may see changes to ensure "standard" packages across all teams that are handed out just before race day then bolted onto the cars.

They recognise that the "Mansell" era brought in huge revenues and audiences and want to try and get back that level of excitement and interest.

I wish them well. If they fail the sport will just die a death of boredom.

Bring back V8's. Who cares about Hybrid technology at this level of racing? It had created cars that the drivers cannot race on tyres that are not raceable all packaged up in something that sounds like a hairdressers conference with the doors left open.

Haven't seen any negative comments about him.Would have loved to have seen him in his old capacity but there are too many chiefs in F1 and he would not be able to do what he wants to do.

I am surprised Ferrari did not lure him back

Rather worryingly Liberty are predicting that this seasons rule changes will actually cause an even bigger procession with less overtaking.

There is a desire to "Americanise" the sport. This may see changes to ensure "standard" packages across all teams that are handed out just before race day then bolted onto the cars.

From what I've heard, it's rule changing that reduces close races. New rules means new investment required to maximise the early gains. With stable rules many teams converge on to similar pace = close racing.

It could therefore be argued that standard chassis/engines/aero or whatever would give better racing.

Seem to have overlapped with BOB6600's thread. Happy to merge if it suits

He's 86. He's always been short. Did they really expect any more growth?

Thanks Bernie for the 80's & 90's seasons. Top job. :thumb:

Yes, thanks for the memories Bernie, my feeling is the circus is just about to begin.

Seems odd that a technology show case sport cannot embrace technology in regard to media content, access online and the various alternative revenue streams out there as well as TV etc etc. perhaps having someone running the sport who is the same age as my gran may have a lot to do with it. good luck to the new boys and lets have a an Engish premier league style sharing of the wealth. the top5 teams arrangement should be illegal. No wonder whoever comes last goes bust every 2 years.

lets have a an Engish premier league style sharing of the wealth. the top5 teams arrangement should be illegal. No wonder whoever comes last goes bust every 2 years.

Maybe a better model would be the NFL.

Apart from Leicester doing its remarkable thing last year we pretty much see the same top teams in the EPL ..... at the top.

One thing that might help F1 is the concept of relegation - set up a secondary race series that acts as a feeder - relegate and promote bottom two teams from the feeder. New teams can't enter the main series directly - but make it easier for new entrants to join the feeder - and only allow drivers a licence to race in the main series if they have had one or two seasons in the feeder series.

One thing that might help F1 is the concept of relegation - set up a secondary race series that acts as a feeder - relegate and promote bottom two teams from the feeder. New teams can't enter the main series directly - but make it easier for new entrants to join the feeder - and only allow drivers a licence to race in the main series if they have had one or two seasons in the feeder series.
A bit like Formula 2 used to be (BTW, I see that the FIA are bringing F2 back), but with a more formal promotion / demotion mechanism?

Thinking about the old F2 brought to mind Hesketh's comment when they were considering entering F1: "We can't afford to do both, so we may as well grub around at the back of F1 as grub around at the back of F2" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom