End of Terrestrial F1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh well, that's the end of F1 as a mass spectator sport in the UK then.

I also think there is a mis-quote in the article though.

Bernie Ecclestone, CEO Formula One Group said:

“I am delighted that we will continue to work together. Sky’s commitment to the Sport and standard of coverage paying me huge pots of dosh is second to none.”

That could mean CH4 start showing them in whole, at a later point rather than live. which might make sense and also more dosh for the idiot, which he can manage to give away unfairly to those who have no need for it.

"But coverage of the British Grand Prix will continue to be available on a free-to-air basis, although Sky hasn't specified where the free-to-air access will be"

"Highlights and qualifying sessions will also be shown free-to-air"

"The current arrangement, which sees coverage shared between Channel 4 and Sky Sports, which lasts until the end of 2018 is unaffected by the announcement."

"Sky says more than 13 million viewers have already enjoyed its live coverage with many more following F1 racing across Sky Sports’ digital outlets."

I doubt sponsors would be at all bothered by the new arrangement, which applies only to the UK and Ireland.

I don't know if I'm in a minority of one, but the allure of F1 on TV for me was mostly centered around the Monaco GP.

No overtaking, but it was the best race nonetheless. British GP or no, I'm out as far as F1 is now concerned.

That said, it isn't all about the TV access, it's excitement level in general is now, usually, on a par with watching paint dry.

Just my opinion of course...

I gave up watching F1 in about 1985 and I was reminded why when I watched in awe at the ground effect cars going around Goodwood last Sunday. I switched to watching Moto GP far more exciting and not the procession which I felt F1 has become.

After 16 years i phoned to cancel Sky last week.
Sick to bloody death of them sending me emails saying what fantastic deals they have for new customers, but two fingers to the loyal ones who have spent a small fortune over the years.
Two freesat boxes for me now, will get my money back in about 9 months.

I don't know if I'm in a minority of one, but the allure of F1 on TV for me was mostly centered around the Monaco GP.

No overtaking, but it was the best race nonetheless. British GP or no, I'm out as far as F1 is now concerned.

That said, it isn't all about the TV access, it's excitement level in general is now, usually, on a par with watching paint dry.

Just my opinion of course...

:dk:

To me a race is just that; a race, not a collection of celebutards in strange sunglasses parading in front of any available camera with a procession of cars in the background.

Circumstances dictated I didn't see the Australian GP, I was surprised that I didn't miss it at all and I suspect I will only watch one or two this season.

Bernie's micromanaging and constant changing of rules to overcome some perceived 'problem' has turned what used to be exciting racing into a dull business.

Stratman said:
:dk: To me a race is just that; a race, not a collection of celebutards in strange sunglasses parading in front of any available camera with a procession of cars in the background. Circumstances dictated I didn't see the Australian GP, I was surprised that I didn't miss it at all and I suspect I will only watch one or two this season. Bernie's micromanaging and constant changing of rules to overcome some perceived 'problem' has turned what used to be exciting racing into a dull business.

It's a fair cop Stratman!

Maybe I should have said 'event', but nonetheless (and not for the hanger on celebrities as you get them at every GP), attrition, driver error etc made it interesting, in a great setting that made racetracks, as a backdrop, dull.

It all comes down to money....
An interesting quote came from Sir Peter Bazalgette at the Royal Television Society Awards a couple of days ago. He said that 24% of the annual money we spend on content for our TV screens (terrestrial & satellite) pays for football which has an audience of approx 0.6% of the population. The BBC pay 204m GBP for right to Premier League highlights and Sky together with BT shelled out a further 5.136 billion GBP for the rights to show the games live. It's no wonder there's little left for anything else.... TBH, not sure I understand how he came up with those numbers, but if true there's little hope for many other sports to receive airtime anytime soon.

I think we're singing from the same hymnsheet more or less, with the exception of Monaco.

For me, Monaco is the antithesis of what motor racing should be. Give me a Land Rover towing a caravan and half a lap head start and I'd win it. I agree nonebrities are present at all races but at Monaco they seem to be the main 'attraction'. Then again, given the dullness of the actual procession the TV companies may have a point.

I'm always a bit sceptical when an event needs special rule exemptions in order to fit into a series. Monaco has exemptions for runoff areas, race length and practice days. Any other circuit would be told to either comply or do one.

The drivers don't seem to be happy with the way F1 is going with their open letter to the owners and stakeholders of F1 to" restructure its governance".

"It is fundamental that the sport's leaders make smart and well-considered adjustments," it reads.

"We feel that some recent rule changes - on both the sporting and technical side, and including some business decisions - are disruptive, do not address the bigger issues our sport is facing and in some cases could jeopardise its future success.

"The drivers have come to the conclusion that the decision-making process in the sport is obsolete and ill-structured and prevents progress being made. Indeed, it can sometimes lead to just the opposite - gridlock.

"This reflects negatively on our sport, prevents it being fit for the next generation of fans and compromises further global growth."

The drivers add: "The future direction and decisions of F1, be they short- or long-term, sporting, technical or business-oriented, should be based on a clear masterplan that should reflect the core principles and core value of F1.

"We need to ensure that F1 remains a sport, a closely fought competition between the best drivers in extraordinary machines on the coolest race tracks.

"F1 should be home only to the best teams, drivers and circuits, with partners and suppliers fit for such an elite championship."

And Bernie Ecclestone is in agreement with them! :thumb:

There is no way I'm contributing to Mr Murdoch's coffers, so F1 will lose another spectator, as regards football an alien arriving from another planet would think that it is the only sport. I'm not sure that the massive amounts of money that TV coverage rights has improved the game, just a lot of wealthy players who frequently behave like spoilt kids.

Sadly I've become disillusioned with F1 recently. Last week's debacle and the news Sky are taking over has pretty much done it for me.

Going to have to get back into BTCC and have a look at Moto as others have recommended that.

There is no way I'm contributing to Mr Murdoch's coffers, so F1 will lose another spectator, as regards football an alien arriving from another planet would think that it is the only sport. I'm not sure that the massive amounts of money that TV coverage rights has improved the game, just a lot of wealthy players who frequently behave like spoilt kids.

I couldn't agree more, well said!

There is a massive Elephant in the room that is not being discussed here?

F1 drivers are being told "not to race" then "slow down" allow a "tactical overtake"

So not really racing is it?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

There is a massive Elephant in the room that is not being discussed here?

F1 drivers are being told "not to race" then "slow down" allow a "tactical overtake"

So not really racing is it?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Rules this year don't allow that as only limited radio is allowed for safety messages etc

I'd prefer to watch ladies beach volleyball

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom