End of Year competition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
Well, as the year draws to a close, here's a little competition to help you while away the remaining hours.

endofyear.jpg

To gain maximum points, you need to tell me:
  • What connects all of the above.
  • Which is the odd one out, and why?
  • Which is the odd one in, and why?
  • Which is the red herring, designed to throw you off the scent; and why?
:devil:

Not sure about all the questions, but the link is the 1880s, when all were founded, apart from MB, of course, which was in the 1870s, thus aligning it with Aston Villa's decade rather than the newbie ****nal crowd. Was the Statue of Liberty the red herring - erected to celebrate the centenary of the USA, which was in 1876, but wasn't actually put up until 1886?

Last edited:
Not sure about all the questions, but the link is the 1880s, when all were founded, apart from MB, of course, which was in the 1870s, thus aligning it with Aston Villa's decade rather than the newbie ****nal crowd. Was the Statue of Liberty the red herring - erected to celebrate the centenary of the USA, which was in 1876, but wasn't actually put up until 1876?

You're on the right track, but the connection is something more specific. If you correct the error in your final sentence, you'll be well on the way to solving this. :) (Oh, and the Statue of Liberty is not the red herring, though I can see your reasoning.)

Does G allude to the Chanel Tunnel - first talked about in the 1880s but not actually built until the 1980s...and would that therefore be the odd one in?

You're on the right track, but the connection is something more specific. If you correct the error in your final sentence, you'll be well on the way to solving this. :) (Oh, and the Statue of Liberty is not the red herring, though I can see your reasoning.)

So, the link is 1886 (though I thought Wimbledon was 1889 and the boys brigade 1883, which is why I went for the non-specific 1880s...)

Does G allude to the Chanel Tunnel - first talked about in the 1880s but not actually built until the 1980s...and would that therefore be the odd one in?

Not the Channel Tunnel - it's another one that was actually built in the 1880s.

So, the link is 1886 (though I thought Wimbledon was 1889 and the boys brigade 1883, which is why I went for the non-specific 1880s...)

1886 is the key to solving it, but is not in itself the link. Sorry to be so cryptic, but it's early days... :)

PS: Meant to say, you've mentioned both the "odd one in" and the red herring in your latest post. I'm not saying which is which, though, or why.

'Mercedes-Benz' did not come about until 1926 , although Daimler and Benz each individually produced petrol powered vehicles in 1886 .

'Mercedes-Benz' did not come about until 1926 , although Daimler and Benz each individually produced petrol powered vehicles in 1886 .

Very true. So it can't be that, then.

The odd one out is Coke Cola, it's the only one I like with Bacardi

I think it's something to do with women, is Avon the only female partnership?

Diesel smoke? :D

All used the railway for growth, the photo of the railway is the odd one in?

All the companies are 125 years old except MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom