Energy Suppliers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Your electricity bill is £140 a month?!

Ours is about £60/70 and my kids haven’t turned a light switch off in their lives (not to mention two loads of washing a day amongst other things!)
£160 in November, maybe I have a leak?

My energy bill (gas and electric) is £140 per month, according to MSE energy club that's the cheapest I can get.

I am with Utility Warehouse for gas and electricity.

Been happy with them for the past 10 years.

But haven't done any new comparisons recently.

Hope this helps.

Is your heating electric?
No, gas.
Gas ovens and induction hob.
I’ve just counted 12 bloody lamps on though.

No, gas.
Gas ovens and induction hob.
I’ve just counted 12 bloody lamps on though.
How much are you paying per kWh?

Average usage for a family of four in a decent size 150sqm house is 20,000 kWh gas and 5,000 electric.

Average usage for a family of four in a decent size 150sqm house is 20,000 kWh gas and 5,000 electric.

Energy 1080 kWh @ 13.63 p/kWh £ 147.23 Standing charge 30 days @ 19.47 p/day £ 5.84 Cost of electricity used £ 153.07 VAT @ 5% £ 7.65 Total electricity costs for this bill £ 160.72

The above is pasted from my last bill, were you quoting annual usage? If so then I'm on target for well over double the average.

My £140 per month bought.......... Gas 12,947kWh and electric 4632kWh over the last 12 months. This is in a large 4 bedroom house with a inefficient large conservatory.

Energy 1080 kWh @ 13.63 p/kWh £ 147.23 Standing charge 30 days @ 19.47 p/day £ 5.84 Cost of electricity used £ 153.07 VAT @ 5% £ 7.65 Total electricity costs for this bill £ 160.72

The above is pasted from my last bill, were you quoting annual usage? If so then I'm on target for well over double the average.

Sure you're not lighting the whole street?

Yes, annual.

Even in winter, a thousand kWh electric per month is very high (just two of you in the house?)

The summer months will half so you could be talking 10,000 kWh - that’s big!

Ours is about £60/70 and my kids haven’t turned a light switch off in their lives (not to mention two loads of washing a day amongst other things!)
Same here, average £68 throughout the year. 2 kids, 2 adults. Only me that bothers to actively reduce the energy being wasted. Wife will happily have the central heating and gas fire on at the same time!

I'm with Avro and happy with the cost and service - but will probably change when I can as they do not seem to provide Smart Meters (yes, I actually want one! LOL)

What you consume does come from whatever source provided it to the national grid, so you have no control over what electrons you use. The point is that they only pay to companies who put in renewable sourced. So no, its not BS marketing, what is in their control is renewable, they can't control outside of that. I didn't put that I was 100% renewable, I put they are.

The more suppliers who purchase renewable, the more funding those companies have to expand they capabilities, reducing the need for non renewable sources to be switched on. We have already now reached the tipping point where in the UK coal fired power stations rarely have to be fired up.

The messaging does have to be dumbed down and simplified for Joe Public where many do not understand the difference between suppliers, brokers and consumers. Its a bit like people not understanding about smart meters and its not really about what they can do today, its about what can be done with tarrifing in the future to change behaviours in both consumers and suppliers.
Hi,
I was being a bit facetious actually - as I am a energy & water consultant - with a lot of experience in all forms of renewable energy!
I totally agree with you and also understand why the energy resellers express their electricity as being renewable - as Joe Public don’t understand the electricity distribution network.
Unfortunately the uptake of small, medium and large scale renewables has not happened as was intended maybe 10 years ago - because of political changes (which we should not really be discussing here!)
Cheers
Steve

Yes, annual.

Even in winter, a thousand kWh electric per month is very high (just two of you in the house?)

The summer months will half so you could be talking 10,000 kWh - that’s big!

My Mother is camped out in my TV room currently and has her oxygen machine on 24/7, I've just had a stalk around the place and have found the following using up electricity:
  • 12 assorted lamps
  • 4 outdoor lights
  • Dishwasher on
  • 20 ceiling spots in kitchen/diner
  • 6 light fittings lit
  • 1 laptop, printer and hands free phone unit on
  • Coffee machine on standby
  • Radio through amp
  • Heated towel rail on
  • 2 fridge freezers
  • Bedroom fridge
  • Oxygen machine
  • 1 TV
  • Cleaner is using the hoover but this will be short term
  • Electric radiator on low in the office
Thankfully the Mrs has gone out otherwise she's no doubt be using something or other.

I think that I am using more appliances etc than the average but surely not over 4 times as much?

My Mother is camped out in my TV room currently and has her oxygen machine on 24/7, I've just had a stalk around the place and have found the following using up electricity:
  • 12 assorted lamps
  • 4 outdoor lights
  • Dishwasher on
  • 20 ceiling spots in kitchen/diner
  • 6 light fittings lit
  • 1 laptop, printer and hands free phone unit on
  • Coffee machine on standby
  • Radio through amp
  • Heated towel rail on
  • 2 fridge freezers
  • Bedroom fridge
  • Oxygen machine
  • 1 TV
  • Cleaner is using the hoover but this will be short term
  • Electric radiator on low in the office
Thankfully the Mrs has gone out otherwise she's no doubt be using something or other.

I think that I am using more appliances etc than the average but surely not over 4 times as much?
The only thing “out of the ordinary” in that list is obviously the oxygen machine but surely it can’t be using that much? The heaters also gobble electric so they’re also not helping.

Does your lamps and lights have LED bulbs? They can make a large saving on your electric bill.

Why do you have so many lights on in the middle of the day? Old house = small windows or?

One of the few sensible things the EU did was to call a halt to the stupidity of who could boast a vacuum cleaner with the most watts purely for marketing reasons. In 25 years we went from the 275 watts of a Hoover junior to near 2000 watts with nothing like a proportional improvement in performance. There is a technical reason for that if anyone wants to know. Anyway a couple of years ago the EU set the bar at a maximum of 900 watts which is more than enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom