Energy Suppliers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why do you have so many lights on in the middle of the day? Old house = small windows or?
North facing and it's pissing down.

My office is well lit for practical reasons, we do light the dining room which is rarely used and I have no idea why.

My parents used to be proper stingy with lighting when I was growing up, maybe I am over compensating.

My energy bill (gas and electric) is £140 per month, according to MSE energy club that's the cheapest I can get.

My son's electricity bill is over £400-00/month. Electric AGA, A/c for the wine cellar etc and a massive 200 year old (6 bedroom) house. Also uses wood burners, oil fired central heating etc. More money than sense.:confused:

My son's electricity bill is over £400-00/month. Electric AGA, A/c for the wine cellar etc and a massive 200 year old (6 bedroom) house. Also uses wood burners, oil fired central heating etc. More money than sense.:confused:
I feel better now

I feel a lot, lot, lot better
Combined gas and leccy bill, £67/month and will go down, following all the helpful advice from the fora

Thanks one and all

In the process of looking for another provider as EON are putting their prices up on the fixed deal I done last year. Any recommendations? Also has anyone signed up for a deal that states you need a smart meter and not bothered getting it installed?

In the process of looking for another provider as EON are putting their prices up on the fixed deal I done last year. Any recommendations? Also has anyone signed up for a deal that states you need a smart meter and not bothered getting it installed?
I signed up for a cheap BG deal a year ago (through cheap energy club or Uswitch ) , which needs a smart meter , I booked the smart meter 3 months ahead , when the date got close , I just changed the date to 3 months ahead again (and again , and again ) , now with COVID you don’t need to get them fitted yet ;)

Reactions: Nat
I suggest you take a look at Martin Lewis website "moneysavingexpert ,I'm currently with bulb no complaints.Deals change week on week.Sorry I didn't see the previous replies.

Try here -

Thank you :cool:

I signed up for a cheap BG deal a year ago (through cheap energy club or Uswitch ) , which needs a smart meter , I booked the smart meter 3 months ahead , when the date got close , I just changed the date to 3 months ahead again (and again , and again ) , now with COVID you don’t need to get them fitted yet ;)

Good idea as I never thought of doing that :thumb:

I'm just moving over to Octopus, not the cheapest, every so slightly more expensive than next best but their customer service is well regarded.

A friend has just switched to SSE recently and had smart meters installed.
He is currently without gas as when fitting the smart meters the engineer noted the gas pipe ran under a concrete garage (has done for maybe 30 years).
Other engineers came out, threatened to cut him off etc. but offered to move things.

They came this morning and disconnected the pipe outside leading to his garage and routed it surface level.

He now awaits an engineer to reconnect him, this should be fun.
Last I heard he was on way to chemist to pick up blood pressure tablets.

One thing I have noticed using a few comparison sites and one in particular website (Money Supermarket). When you load in your current supplier, tariff and yearly cost for both fuels - mine total £734, it then states your personal projection is £874 which is an increase of £140. Then it shows my yearly savings of £139 if I were to switch to Shell.

Quite deceptive really and I wonder how many people have fell for it and relied on the goodwill of the site.

Last edited:
I think the comparison sites work on the assumption that your current deal is expiring, so you will revert to the standard tariff; that's what they show the saving against, not your current deal.

But I agree it's not straightforward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom