Engaging a Suspect - from Around the World

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is this acceptable...? Would British Police officers have done the same?

I suspect that the UK would use the SAS rather than police in the specific circumstances you are giving.

And to those who said they would have done the same under similar circumstances.... great. I personally would not jump into a burning building, which I why I did not choose a career as a fireman. I do, however, expect from those who do decide to become firemen, to do just that.

Firemen are professionals and if they take personal risks that are considered unacceptable they will be disciplined.

Some interesting tangents and perspectives, I've been a shooter - one and off - for over 30 years.

I was doing my Practical Pistol Basic Course on the weekend that Hungerford occurred, and down the road in Austin, Texas when Waco kicked off.

Of my personal shooting mentors, two are ex-MPS CO19 Officers - both served for 30 years - protecting London.

One has now retired the country, and I'm saying farewell to the other next week; when I attend his funeral.

I have been fortunate to have known them, and understand (in part) the dilemmas that they were presented with on a day-by-day basis.

The decision to end a a human life is not one that is ever taken lightly, nor one that ever goes away from those who have.

Firemen are professionals and if they take personal risks that are considered unacceptable they will be disciplined.

I must admit that I do not know what firemen's instructions are.

I would expect that they would indeed be disciplined if they took unnecessary risk.

But I doubt that a fireman would be disciplined for taking an unavoidable risk while trying to save someone's life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom