Engine and fuel flushing..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_b

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250CDI (C320CDI & SLK350, Sold) & the Trusty Citigo
My SLK goes in for its its first service tomorrow, just coming up to a year old and 7k miles. A service, it says, no problem.

The service dept tried to sell me the benefits of hiving some oil flushing and fuel additive, and 'this is good for the car'. I asked if MB recommended this treatment, as it didn't appear to be in the hand book. They avoided a direct yes/no answer, so I declined, and just booked a standard service

It sounds a bit like snake oil to me, and I right?

And after 7K, you probably need some 'fresh' air in your tyres. Special offer at the mo - 40 quid.

;)

Perhaps they haven't read the passage in the Mercedes Workshop Manuals that specifically advise against the use of any type of fuel or oil additives?

Perhaps wise to find another dealer who isn't trying it on.

Does sound very naughty. I've never had anything like that recommended to me from my dealer!

Most decent dealers and garages will flush the engine when changing the oil, it's good practice.

I would be happy to have it done but would enquire about the cost as it's a vallue added product for the dealer.

Had the service done, no problems:) They did rather admit the additives are 'centrally driven', and not actually necessary at all. The one amusing bit was my 'imported car' that made it difficult to to get the right updates.

Seems the guy that took the booking wasn't aware of factory collection! Happily the service receptionist was and sorted it in 10 seconds.

Flushing is for toilets. Unless someone's crapped in your motor, there's no need to flush it. The additive package in modern oils does more than any flush ever could.

Use Shell V-Power for a couple of tanks to clean the valves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom