Engine and gearbox firmware versions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Is there a way to discover the versions of these and what the latest versions are?

I imagine it is a Star job to update is it?

That would be nice. But there seems to be a bit of secrecy about it all. :(

I did ask Olly PCS (BlackC55) about this when the car was with him, he said he could not do this - not for my W203 anyway - can't remember the exact explanation now but he may come along later and comment...

Apparently having STAR is not enough, you need to have access to download the latest firmwares, which I think only main dealers have?

So it depends on how chummy you can get with the technicians at your local MB dealer...

Which is strange, because on my previous Vauxhall anyone with TECH-2 could upgrade anything on the car, and there are quite a lot of ECUs to upgrade (engine and gearbox are the obvious ones, but there's also aircon, ABS, SRS, etc etc...).

I have a 2008 C220 CDI Sport Auto, which i've been having problems with sluggish gearbox. I had the firmwares updated the other week and it's solved a lot of my problems and slightly improved the fuel economy. So if you're seeing problems with slow gearbox changes, I would highly recommend you get it updated. In my case, the firmwares had never been updated since new, and mine was one of the first cars.

I have a 2008 C220 CDI Sport Auto, which i've been having problems with sluggish gearbox. I had the firmwares updated the other week and it's solved a lot of my problems and slightly improved the fuel economy. So if you're seeing problems with slow gearbox changes, I would highly recommend you get it updated. In my case, the firmwares had never been updated since new, and mine was one of the first cars.

Very interesting.

Where did you get the update done? MB dealer?

Yes, my car was just out of warranty, but I read on another forum about the updates and when I queried it they agreed to do it under warranty. It's made a big improvement to pulling off at junctions.

Mine is a 2008 W204 C220 CDI Sport Auto 5sp

Whilst your on the subject anyone know if its possible to update the ABC mapping for an sl55? The F1 pack cars had sportier ride and wondered if this can be updated to a non F1 car?
Cheers in advance

I think updating of ecus with star depends on their age.

My w220 the engine and gearbox ecus cannot be updated but post 2004/5 ones could. Whereas my central gateway could be updated with my star.

The reason for thinking the later engine and gearbox ecus can be updated is in star simulator you can test later systems.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom