Engine bay clean up

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Tensofbenz, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Tensofbenz

Tensofbenz New Member

Car:
    500se - 180c
    My W126 is a generally tidy car but i would like to spruce up the engine bay a little without going anywhere near concourse standard.
    Talk me through where to start please, i'm guessing a steam wash would not be the best thing to do for the electronics?

2. AltonAnt

AltonAnt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2002 S203 C240
    I jetwashed mine without issue. Obviously don’t direct the full force into any exposed electrical plugs or air intakes but the engine bay is pretty well protected from road spray.

MancMike, chrisk2010 and wu56Shoozz like this.
  3. wu56Shoozz

wu56Shoozz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

You'll need a passport to get over the Wall..
    Car:
    MB Vito 111CDi / W203 C Class Saloon 320CDi Avantgarde
    On Jet washing, bag off all electrical appliances, Alternator, distributor, fusebox etc you get the idea.. I tend to buy a resealable freezer bag and self amalgamating tape as its waterproof and cable ties, then using Gunk or Simple Green, spray liberally all over and agitate with a brush, any size of brush will do and work it in..then go easy with a pressure washer working your way around the engine..was the sump area well, just to reveal the if theres any oil leaks.

chrisk2010 likes this.
  4. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    I used to do this regularly in the seventies/eighties/nineties... it was easy then, not many electrical components in the engine bay in those days (dizzy, coil, HT leads, brake fluid reservoir sensor, horn, headlamp bulbs, battery and fuse box).

These days, not sure I would risk it :(

Darren1717 likes this.
  5. MancMike

MancMike Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C280 Elegance
    I've pressure washed mine probably 10 times. Never bothered with any bagging off of electrics. I've both left it to dry overnight, and driven off straight away.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sprint-Man and markjay like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Tensofbenz

Tensofbenz New Member

Car:
    500se - 180c
    I also used to steam them without worrying on the older cars, maybe i'll give it a go then with the pressure washer, i'm not risking it like you MancMike, a brave man.

7. chrisk2010

chrisk2010 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C230 w203
    I pretty much do what everyone has suggested above, just remember not to concentrate on any area directly for too long and go over the engine with a cleaner and some plastic pound shop brushes first so all you have to do is jet it over lightly it makes everything much easier when you reach for the lance.

Mike i don't have the ball beaings to snow foam everything like you do ! Great to see though thanks for putting some pics up :)

MancMike likes this.
  8. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    Have you ever forgot to put the dipstick in before doing that Mike ? lol

Tbh fair play i've never done that to a engine bay, its good to see you can and get away with it ok.

9. optimusprime

optimusprime Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes W124 260E M103
    Only ever use a duster with white spirits on ,or wd40 to spray all the metal work and wipe it off. Sorry i am not brave enough to steam wash the engine bay of my car .

Martin 1 and m80 like this.
  10. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    When i do mine i find Gt85 or wd40 on a Rag works well, then car polish after. Autosol on the Alloy bits, Ok i did cheat alittle my w126 had only done 24k so wasnt that bad lol
    [​IMG]

Sprint-Man, stwat and chrisk2010 like this.
  11. PobodY

PobodY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
    I did just this last week. - Snow foam on the underside of the bonnet and the engine bay, then sprayed it off.
    If you don't go crazy, there's no reason you should have any problems; it's not like you're submerging anything, and it's all designed to cope with a bit of wet weather.

Having said that, this might be the reason Parktronic has got upset. :oops:

12. OP
    OP
    Tensofbenz

Tensofbenz New Member

Car:
    500se - 180c
    that sounds good if its already pretty clean, but i don't think mine has ever been done.

13. MancMike

MancMike Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C280 Elegance
    The dipstick is always in. I had to cover over the air intake as you can see because this is with the engine cover/air filters removed.

Obviously not covering that is major hydro-lock risk. Also the MAF sensor is just beneath the mesh grille on the air intake so don’t want to get that dirty.

optimusprime, merc85 and Sprint-Man like this.
  14. m80

m80 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Viano 3.0 Ex Long 2009 Auto
    For me it's white spirit in a spray bottle.
    I saturate the mucky stuff, otherwise I spray onto blue paper towels and wipe..

Warming the engine causes the white spirit to evaporate.

I'm not brave enough to take water under the bonnet to clean, especially under pressure, as I've seen SAMs go bad when a little has got to them.
    I'm aware that all the components, and the fuse box, are IP protected.

My engine doesn't look as clean as those photo's I've got to admit.

15. optimusprime

optimusprime Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes W124 260E M103
    Its ok with a new engine, it will come clean but not so with older cars . Still say its on your own head if it throws out a fault after you blanket bath it with steam cleaner.. They are not made for this sort of treatment . Never done mine with a steam cleaner .As above post Mank m said white spirits and rags keep mine clean also .

16. Trickythemerc

Trickythemerc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 220 CDI Sport 2009
    I use auto glym machine cleaner on mine,plenty of cloths and brushes to get in the nooks and crannies.

17. Wolfie1

Wolfie1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180 AMG SPORT + and an FD RX7
    To get your alloy clean use spray alloy bright on first, i do this with my rx7 and it is noticabily cleaner

18. Alex225

Alex225 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    I got my E320 with 104k on it so had plenty of miles before I cleaned the engine bay.

I actually used a number of microfibres, various plastic cleaners and just elbow grease to get it looking good.

A house/jet wash will Work but the chances of forcing water somewhere it shouldn’t go, must be pretty high. So personally it’s a no from me on that part.

19. confusionhunter

confusionhunter Member

Car:
    c63
    If you are jet washing I would recommend bagging off, I once suffered a recurring fault with a MAF sensor after an engine bay jet wash and good take apart and clean and a permanent 'bag off' solved the problem for good.

20. Dammit

Dammit Member

Car:
    I wouldn't jet wash a bicycle as it blasts the grease out of the bearings, not sure I'd take the jet wash to the engine for similar "what could go wrong?" reasons.

I would like to give mine a spruce up, however - it's on 81k miles and I don't think the bay has been cleaned in that time.

Elbow grease, white spirit and rags for me I think.