Engine bay clean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

24 VRT

Car
'99 S210 E320CDI A/garde - gone to a better place.. Now '09 S211 E320CDI Sport.
Today's OCD task was to give the engine bay a clean up. Overall just grubby although there was a sticky gooey mess on the inside of the bonnet at one end of the louvres. Before and after pics attached. Exhaust tips were done yesterday, so that is largely all the jobs to do before she goes to the detailer later this month - can't wait!
WP_20190705_11_33_47_Pro 1.jpg WP_20190705_11_34_03_Pro 2.jpg WP_20190705_11_34_12_Pro 3.jpg WP_20190705_15_19_17_Pro 4.jpg WP_20190705_15_19_28_Pro 5.jpg

Cleaning the engine bay is one thing I'm wary (scared) of doing, with so much electronics there be worried about damaging something...

Cleaning the engine bay is one thing I'm wary (scared) of doing, with so much electronics there be worried about damaging something...

Just don't blast it with a jetwasher. Think about all the roadspray that could affect it and you'll see there is nothing to worry about as everything is suitably protected.

Lovely job from OP.

Just don't blast it with a jetwasher. Think about all the roadspray that could affect it and you'll see there is nothing to worry about as everything is suitably protected.

Lovely job from OP.
I spray mine with a pressure washer and haven't had any problems; in fact I even snow foamed the engine bay and washed that off.

Looks like a job well done :)

Cleaning the bay before it goes to the detailers? Is that not like cleaning/tidying the house before the the cleaner comes round (for those peeps that have one, not me I hasten to add :D). Its a serious point, as my detailer always does the interior, engine bay, and exhaust tips (as well as the whole paintwork on the car) when I have had mine done. Ot are these those things classed as additional items with the company that are doing yours?

Looks like a job well done :)

Cleaning the bay before it goes to the detailers? Is that not like cleaning/tidying the house before the the cleaner comes round (for those peeps that have one, not me I hasten to add :D). Its a serious point, as my detailer always does the interior, engine bay, and exhaust tips (as well as the whole paintwork on the car) when I have had mine done. Ot are these those things classed as additional items with the company that are doing yours?
The wheels, tips and engine were on the detailing list, but I want him to have as much time as possible on the paint and interior, as those are the areas that need the most work - he only has it for 2 days after all!
I must admit I do feel a bit like the housewife that cleans the house before the cleaner comes. That said, the car didn't appear to have been cleaned or properly washed for years - green algae, blocked drain vents, leaves and other debris in scuttle area, plus that goo inside the bonnet. Door shuts were filthy, and I'm still getting dog hairs coming out of the carpets after 3 separate vacuuming sessions! Previous owners clearly didn't lavish any love on her - there were multiple scratches on the nsr door glass where something was allowed to constantly rub against it - took my glass guy over 2 hours to polish them away.

Reactions: Abb
The wheels, tips and engine were on the detailing list, but I want him to have as much time as possible on the paint and interior, as those are the areas that need the most work - he only has it for 2 days after all!
I must admit I do feel a bit like the housewife that cleans the house before the cleaner comes. That said, the car didn't appear to have been cleaned or properly washed for years - green algae, blocked drain vents, leaves and other debris in scuttle area, plus that goo inside the bonnet. Door shuts were filthy, and I'm still getting dog hairs coming out of the carpets after 3 separate vacuuming sessions! Previous owners clearly didn't lavish any love on her - there were multiple scratches on the nsr door glass where something was allowed to constantly rub against it - took my glass guy over 2 hours to polish them away.
Go on then, let us in on the secret, what did you use?

I put soft dust sheets over both wings to protect them and then draped a tarpaulin over the engine and wings whilst I cleaned the underside of the bonnet. Degreaser foamed onto it, worked about with various brushes and then sprayed off gently with the garden hose. When done you carefully remove the tarp and the water can run off to the front/sides. As for the inner wings, they only needed a good wipe down with damp cloths and to brush out the accumulated leaves/dirt. Then using a small trigger spray apply degreaser to one small area at a time, work it in then rinse off with another trigger spray of clean water. Just don't spray directly onto electrical connectors (a gentle wipe with damp cloth covers them) and if you can see it cover the alternator with a plastic carrier bag for protection.
The vast majority of dirt around modern engine bays is not oily or greasy, so there is no need to spray loads of water everywhere - you can achieve good results just with brushes and a damp cloth. You can clean up under the big plastic engine cover, but there are lots of areas there that need care, so if you are unhappy tackling those, then just clean the cover and leave what's underneath hidden!
Snow foam and pressure washers can be used, but if you are wanting to be cautious, then leave that option for others.
P.S. I used Bilt Hamber Surfex diluted down to 10% (90%water) as my cleaner/degreaser.

Nice job, a clean engine bay, for me at least, makes any needed work in that area, far less of a chore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom